Tallbald

I Want To Make Handgun Transport Scabbards. As For Long Guns But Shorter

Here's my thinking. Beautiful modern zippered handgun cases abound and I admire them greatly. It's nice that they can be un-zipped and laid out flat as a pad for the handgun. But zippers themselves can be a pain. Great zippers are expensive, have fabric components that will rot and break down over time from frequent movement and stretching (I know from experience), and are plain hard and time consuming for me to do well.

In the 1800's long gun field cases were often essentially scabbards with a folding flap end closure secured by a strap and buckle. I want to begin making the same kind of scabbard for pistols from leather with an appropriate soft lining. What modern lining materials would be appropriate for a pistol scabbard lining? As traditional fabric quilters, my wife and I have come to prefer 100 percent cotton low loft batting which can be bought in many sizes and several grades. The variety of fabrics that might be suitable for the fine finish on a gun could include I suppose cotton canvas, cotton felt (although it might fray over time) and maybe a few others. Perhaps too, a 1 1/2 to 2 ounce vegetable tanned leather lining could be used over the batting. I'd rather not use fleece because of moisture retention and possible chemical issues.

I really want to move forward with this idea and would appreciate thoughts on construction and materials. Thanks as always. Don

Although we all love leather, . . . (obviously :thumbsup: ), . . . and other natural materials, . . . it is a given that pretty much all natural materials will soak up oil from any source, . . . and any metal firearm will have oil on it in varying proportions.

Since you will not be able to see in this thing, . . . it could become a trap for oil, . . . then dust, . . . creating a bad environment for really fine weaponry.

If it were mine, . . . I'd make sure the lining was one of the plastic fantastic man made thingys that does not absorb oil or other liquids. That should be a very positive protector for the contents of the bag.

The alternative would be a leather only bag, . . . and hand wrap the contents with a clean rag / cover / whatever.

May God bless,

Dwight

Any quilted material/batting will absorb moisture/oil. So matters not whether it is fleece. +1 for Dwight.

Tom

The voices of experience have spoken. It sounds like I should reconsider my thoughts. I'm glad to be a member of the forum, and thank you for being open with me. Don

........ I'd make sure the lining was one of the plastic fantastic man made thingys that does not absorb oil or other liquids. ........

This is a very useful thread as I am just now gathering the info to make a rifle scabbard.

Cabela's and others seem to think fleece is fine.

1. If not fleece, what synthetic liners might you recommend?

2. What about lining with Veg tan and periodically treating it?

As always, thank you very much for the generous gift of sharing your knowledge and experience!

Gun owners who care for their guns don't leave them in holsters or zippered cases regardless of material for long periods of time. They clean them regularly and store them in a low humidity environment like a gun safe. The shelves there are plastic or a wood composite covered with various synthetic fiber cloth-like materials. My handguns are in a steel rack with a poly-vinyl coating; long guns in grooved racks with leather and rubber contact points. You're making a case for transport. It should be easy to clean-I use a shop vac for the loose debris (on the gun rugs) or a stiff brush (on the holsters). I don't worry much about excess gun oil (mostly because I don't over-lubricate). I'm a long time (>35 years) avid shooter (2-3 range visits a week) and I have no safe queens; damage or degradation as previously mentioned is either over-stated or (end of the gun counter) myth (and of course, clumsy handling).