SACameron

Holster Hardware

I will be making a few holsters and other leather items primarily Civil war era, but some other. My questions are:

1. Where can I get Holster finials? These are the brass stub that the closure strap attaches to.

2. Where can I get the WWI/WWII era belt hangers for a 1911 Military type holster?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Steve

Edited by SACameron

Steven

You can get those brass studs through Tandy/Leatherfactory. I bought a set there.

I'm not sure where to get the holster hangers, but I know the same hangers were also used to attach canteens, ammo pouches and everything else on a GI's belt. I suggest you check military surplus stores.

Randy

Steven

You can get those brass studs through Tandy/Leatherfactory. I bought a set there.

I'm not sure where to get the holster hangers, but I know the same hangers were also used to attach canteens, ammo pouches and everything else on a GI's belt. I suggest you check military surplus stores.

Randy

Thanks Randy! I will check them out.

Steve

Hi Steve you will find that the ones from tandy are probbably screw back and you dont really want that if you are making authentique CW gear, i make my own from brass bar and just turn that down in the drill using flat and round files it doesnt take long and use a rivit washer for the back dont forget the leather disk that goes in the inside of the holster and stiched around to cover the washer, Don

I don't know much about re-enactment gear but I know Weaver seems to have a good selection those types of findings - mainly Civil War Era.

Ryan

Hi Steve,

The belts prior to 1956 were called m1910 and were used up through the 50s. In the mid 50s the went to the LCE system which still attached to the m1910, and in the 70s they went to ALICE and things still interchanged. In the late 90s they changed to MOLLE which is not backward compatible. Why the history? If you go to the surplus store and you get the run of the mill clerk instead of the owner, they won't know dates at all, and their parents and maybe grandparents probably wern't around for WWII, but they might know what MOLLE and ALICE are, might. To get the clips just buy ammo pouches for ALICE and cut the clips out and incorporate in your gear. However, a lot of guys (and gals?) like to wear their knives on their suspenders and noise free is absolutely essential, no velcro or snaps, use a Sam Brown button for knife retainer strap and hard action snaps (from DOT) on the belt loop. I would put an eyelet or grommet on the top or botton of a sheath or holster you could get a piece of parachute cord through, also, darken the eyelets with cold blue or cat piss. Most of my knives went to AF and NAV pilots and their safety division would usually rework anything I gave them sheath wise. Ground pounders modify their own gear. Also if for active duty, don't use your makers mark on anything. And don't make it too pretty, it won't come home that way.

Art

I will be making a few holsters and other leather items primarily Civil war era, but some other. My questions are:

1. Where can I get Holster finials? These are the brass stub that the closure strap attaches to.

2. Where can I get the WWI/WWII era belt hangers for a 1911 Military type holster?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Steve