jessebeckham

First Attempt Of Sheridan Style Carving.

Whelp, this is my first attempt at Sheridan carving. Please note I did not design it... I am a loooonnnggg way for getting that figured out. But I feel like it turned out pretty good considering. Note that I screwed up... The left side i cut the border in, and dint not plan to do that, guess i was really in the zone while cutting.

1006114_293197210825975_1747122633_n.jpg

If I could ever achieve that level I would be very happy....you done good.

Well, thank you! I need to refine it a lot, but thanks!

Thank you.

If I could ever achieve that level I would be very happy....you done good.

Yep that pretty much sums it up for me, if I could do something like that I would be dancing in the street and I don't dance :)

Holy cow.. THAT'S your first attempt?!? Geez, at that rate you'll be a pro by your fifth project, coaching the rest of us!

Nice work!

Well... To be perfectly honest... I did do a small 4"x4" peice to check how the new Sheridan tools functioned. I contemplated practicing some more before I started the peice above, but figured if I'm gonna learn it I better just start head first.

And also.... Thanks for the complements!! It really helps my mindset. I don't really know any leather workers others than the forum here, so you guys and gals are really a lot if help with your comments, suggestions, and critiques.

If you had not owned up to a mistake, . . . I would not have known it, . . . I would have thought that you did it that way for a reason.

Good job, too, . . . and I'll echo some of the others, . . . it's far above my food chain permit.

Sewing, cutting, sanding, molding, even designing, . . . I can do, . . . this, thankfully others like yourself are talented at.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight.

Looks really nice ...I just started this stuff but to me it looks clean

Wow fantastic and you are encouraging me to jump right into trying the style on bigger projects. Nothing ventured nothing gained I guess.

I have done some small test on with a hybrid of sheridan style flowers in a Stohlman holster floral pattern using the new tandy Sheridan tools and an epipen/med case with sheridan style flowers and leaves and was pleased with the results. I took it real slow and I found the Chan Greer books and DVD on making a note book cover very informative and useful.

With your example of intestinal fortitude my next real Sheridan style work (pattern and tools) will be a bible cover in the next few weeks or so. I will be using a pre-existing pattern as well...not ready to take on layout.....that still looks like weird science/art/geometry I am not quite ready for yet.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

post-33620-0-80705100-1377704863_thumb.j

post-33620-0-49862000-1377704885_thumb.j

post-33620-0-43304700-1377704903_thumb.j

post-33620-0-81170100-1377705165_thumb.j

post-33620-0-10145900-1377705201_thumb.j

post-33620-0-16002800-1377705265_thumb.j

Wow fantastic and you are encouraging me to jump right into trying the style on bigger projects. Nothing ventured nothing gained I guess.

I have done some small test on with a hybrid of sheridan style flowers in a Stohlman holster floral pattern using the new tandy Sheridan tools and an epipen/med case with sheridan style flowers and leaves and was pleased with the results. I took it real slow and I found the Chan Greer books and DVD on making a note book cover very informative and useful.

With your example of intestinal fortitude my next real Sheridan style work (pattern and tools) will be a bible cover in the next few weeks or so. I will be using a pre-existing pattern as well...not ready to take on layout.....that still looks like weird science/art/geometry I am not quite ready for yet.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Your work looks good. I will agree with you one the layout part. I have tried sever times to draw up a sheridan pattern, but everytime it looks bad. I have read through the sheradin book several times (I forget the name) but I just cant seem to get it straight.

I would love to see the bible cover, you mentioned. I am about to start a bible cover as well for a christmas gift.

heh Jess thanks for the encouragement.

I havent gotten to the bible cover yet.....had some paying customers to do first..so I may see yorus before you see mine! Look froward to it.

That looks great :-) i'm in the middle of doing my first one too (the exact same one as yours, copied from someones pic on this website to practise) i'm in two minds whether to stain mine when its done