Sign in to follow this  

I'v recently made two archery back quivers out of 10oz leather. I dyed the first one and finished with neat-lac and it came out fine. The second one (same piece of leather) is a problem. I dyed with a differnt color (same brand) and when I applyed the neat-lac to the strap it stripped out the dye leaving a really bad blotchey look. I havnt done the main part of the quiver yet and I was wondering could I just use something like mink oil to finish it with. Thanks

You have not stated what kind of stain you used so I cannot help you too much. But if you are not going to use the neat lac as a resist I would stay away from it as a final finish. There are several other products that will give you the same results but with a lot less smell. You must use good ventalation when using neat lack If you use Tandy try Super Shene, Satin Shene or Bag Coat or Tan Coat. These would work better for you and would not take the stain off. I would guess you maybe used Tandy's new water based stain, If so that is why the neat lac took off the stain. The chemicals in the neat lac will act as a solvent as it is a solvent based finish. It is one of the better finishes for a project like yours that will see a lot of use but you have to use a good oil based stain with it.

Good luck with your project.

Randy

I have used Fieblings with neat lac without any problems. Only think I could possible think of is that the dye was not totally dry before you put on the neat lac. Sorry I don't have any other explaination.

Randy

Hello Dave, Just a quick note on Lacquers (neat-lac). The thinner that thins lacquer will ruin many things. Many times if you spray to heavy of a coat on anything the thinner in the lacquer will make the base coat "bleed" and blotch. Randy is right, make sure base is DRY and then spray first coat or two of lacquer very light. Let it build up a little and you should have no problem.

PS. Believe me, WE FEEL your pain.. Been there done that! :blush:

I don't know if this will make a difference, but I did not see it mentioned. Did you deglaze the strap before applying the dye? As we handle the leather we transfer our natural oils from our hands onto the leather, this can stop the dye from penetrating all the way. If you applied the finish with out removing any excess dye, any blotching caused by this affect would have been hidden except as areas that would look wetter than the other sections.

I think the above posts have help diagnose the cause, now what about the fix? If you can re dye it great, otherwise, try to get the splotchy look all over for an avante gard leopard pattern :)

Black usually covers most problems, or a darker version of the color used.

BillB, I see what you meen, that may be it !. But, being new to this I dont even know what deglazing is ? I'm assuming it must be a way of cleaning the leather befor dyeing or finishing ?

DaveL

A deglazer is a highly concentrated solvent that will disperses surface oils and most other surface contaminates down into the leather and will allow the dye and finishes to adhere to the leather surface better. It usually uses a base liquid that will evaporate quickly. I have a can of it from Tandy. Fiebing's also sells a deglazer. Use in a well ventilated room and make sure you replenish the oils in the leather with your final finish unless you want stiff leather. Fiebing's also sells a Dye Prep. Fiebing's web page is www.fiebing.com.