flintlock

Pattern For Portmanteau

Welcome! And for those of us that do not know(ME!!!!). What is a portmanteau?

Welcome! And for those of us that do not know(ME!!!!). What is a portmanteau?

OK. A portmanteau is a French 18th century suitcase, usually round or flat bottomed with a handle on one end and another on the top. I guess the best description is it kind of resembles a tootsie roll.

Edited by flintlock

I had to Google this one myself, it is also a word that combines to well known words into one word with a distinct meaning, such as "spork" , "Spanglish", and "skort" for example. The word "portmanteau" came from Lewis Carroll's book "Through the Looking Glass". I guess you do learn something new everyday.

Well to bump this, and since nobody else has posted, I found a website that offered these Portmanteau for sale(Purty Gear or Perty Gear, can't remember now). I think the basic concept is a roll shaped bag that has a porthole type opening with a flap for a cover. You could try to make your own by determing the size of bag you want and set the circular end piece size and make 2 cutouts from heavy cardboard and then take some craft paper or paper grocery bag and cut it to the width of the bag's inteded witdth. Then take your paper and tape it around your cardboard discs and determine where you want the edge of the flap to fall and mark this spot on your paper. I would also over lap the back edge of the "porthole" to the flap enough to be able to stich or rivet these pieces together. Then untape and unrole your paper and then find dead center and fold this in half. locate your flap end mark and mark your corner layout, either freehand or with a aide(such as a lid or plate with the radius you are looking for). Then cut your corner out with the paper folded and you will have exact matching corners. With the paper still folded, you can layout half of the "porthole" opening where you want it and cut the hole out following the layout line around to the fold. When you open your paper out, you should have a exact pattern for your bag. The bag body and flap cover will be one piece altogether, over lapping itself. This will make the bag be 3 pieces all together except for handle and closure straps. If your lucky, the porthole cut out maybe large enough to cut your end pieces and straps out of. Depending on how you decide to sew your end pieces on, but I think that I would over lap the bag body over the disc by atleast 1/4 inch or more and add the same measurement to the leather piece when cuttingthe disc out to be able to form a lip so that you can sew the pieces together. Hope this helps and best of luck on the bag.

Nevada

Well to bump this, and since nobody else has posted, I found a website that offered these Portmanteau for sale(Purty Gear or Perty Gear, can't remember now). I think the basic concept is a roll shaped bag that has a porthole type opening with a flap for a cover. You could try to make your own by determing the size of bag you want and set the circular end piece size and make 2 cutouts from heavy cardboard and then take some craft paper or paper grocery bag and cut it to the width of the bag's inteded witdth. Then take your paper and tape it around your cardboard discs and determine where you want the edge of the flap to fall and mark this spot on your paper. I would also over lap the back edge of the "porthole" to the flap enough to be able to stich or rivet these pieces together. Then untape and unrole your paper and then find dead center and fold this in half. locate your flap end mark and mark your corner layout, either freehand or with a aide(such as a lid or plate with the radius you are looking for). Then cut your corner out with the paper folded and you will have exact matching corners. With the paper still folded, you can layout half of the "porthole" opening where you want it and cut the hole out following the layout line around to the fold. When you open your paper out, you should have a exact pattern for your bag. The bag body and flap cover will be one piece altogether, over lapping itself. This will make the bag be 3 pieces all together except for handle and closure straps. If your lucky, the porthole cut out maybe large enough to cut your end pieces and straps out of. Depending on how you decide to sew your end pieces on, but I think that I would over lap the bag body over the disc by atleast 1/4 inch or more and add the same measurement to the leather piece when cuttingthe disc out to be able to form a lip so that you can sew the pieces together. Hope this helps and best of luck on the bag.

Nevada

Thanks for getting back. I haven't checked for a while because no one was answering. I think I need to make this out of heavy veg tan, maybe 8 to 10 oz. Any thoughts on thickness?

If you have access to the Buckskinner books, I believe that the third volume has a pattern for one. I wouold use around 8 oz to make it as well. I have one that was made from 4-5 oz and its a little flimsy.

If you have access to the Buckskinner books, I believe that the third volume has a pattern for one. I wouold use around 8 oz to make it as well. I have one that was made from 4-5 oz and its a little flimsy.

Thanks. I looked through the Buckskinner (including book III) books I have, but did not find anything. I will keep looking!

well in am french and portmanteau, would transfer in english would be

coat rack, just think you would like to no

have a nice day

well in am french and portmanteau, would transfer in english would be

coat rack, just think you would like to no

have a nice day

That's funny, everyone else calls it a suit case, travel bag, or valiese!

iknow it so funny how from one laguage you get a nother meaning

Try "The Book Of Buckskinning II" page 211.

Thanks! I contacted the publisher, and it is in volume II. I appreciate your help.