pella

Sam stagg rigging

Hello,

i am helping a friend making an old style hope saddle, and we cannot figure how to install the sam stagg rigging. Is there two pieces or one?

thanks for any advices

Hello,

i am helping a friend making an old style hope saddle, and we cannot figure how to install the sam stagg rigging. Is there two pieces or one?

thanks for any advices

here is a pic of a saddle im building at the moment it is one piece, Don

IMG_0742_Gro_e_E_Mail_Ansicht.jpg

38_Samstagg_rigging_Gro_e_E_Mail_Ansicht.jpg

post-1381-1201205466_thumb.jpg

post-1381-1201205598_thumb.jpg

Edited by Don101

thanks so much!

Another question, is the narrower strap folded around the ring?

Is that your first saddle? It looks very nice.

Marie

ive got the larger going over and around the ring and they are sandwiched and rivited together or you could lace them together, yes its my first, thank you for the nice comment, Don

Edited by Don101

The correct way to make a sam stagg rigging is one piece strap cut from each end to the center leaving the strap full width in front of the saddle horn and about the width of the horn neck. One of the straps (usually wider) lays flat across the swell in front of the horn from ring to ring on each side. The other strap, still attached to the first, wraps around the horn and down to the same ring with first strap. Good luck, Keith

i do have an original 1890s saddle with samstagg rigging and it is two piece, Don

I have seen them both one and two piece. The benifit to one piece is the ability to hold the straps centered. Both are as strong. I have also seen the straps fastened together like you show as well as both straps fastened to the ring individually. Keith

Don,

Not sure if it is a regional deal, or different shops doing it one way or the other. I have seen some oldies done with 2 separate straps too. I see the advantage of the one piece as Keith describes. By having both straps together, there would be less tendency for a ring to be pulled more to one side or the other with the straps separate. I am not sure which method came first. There is some question of where the Sam Stagg rigging originated, and some historians even cast doubts on the existance of a saddlemaker named Sam Stagg (and occasionally referred to as "Sam Stack"). There was a saddlemaker in the San Joaquin valley (Visalia area) by the last name of Samstagg I am recalling. This is where the proponents of a real Sam Stagg usually refer. I have not had the opportunity to see a saddle or picture of any of Samstagg's work. Would be interesting to see how his were rigged. Anybody know where one is sitting?

i do have a question on the original i have the rigging is also nailed to the tree under the front jockey, is this nessesary as i believe not as the jocky and seat jocky prevent it from moving or how do you guys do it once it is in place? Don

The rigging rings must be in the same position on each side of the horse relative to front an back. you can be off a bit up and down, but front to back must be under 1/4" difference. If the rigging is not nailed or screwed to the tree, it can move front to back causing the tree to "walk" on the horses back. Keith

Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal (Sept.-Oct. '99) did an article by Harry Adams, Jr. on the "original" Sam Stagg style rigging. In the Sept.-Oct 2007 issue, Tad Mizwa showed how to do one using one solid piece of leather with a slit down the middle that was pretty cool.

Mike

Edited by Mike Craw