I don't know if this has been mentioned here. I found it interesting. This guy on Youtube compares the water resistance of several leather finishes.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

As mentioned in his comments, Resolene did the best in his test.

Today I did something similar comparing samples I had treated with Mop and Glo diluted 50/50 with tap water. One sample I dunked in the mixture for a few seconds. The other I sprayed/misted on 2 very light coats using a spray gun, allowing a few minutes to dry in between. Both samples, after drying for days, sucked up a drop of water very rapidly -- similar to my control piece cut from the same piece of leather.

A combo 50/50 by weight of neatsfoot oil and beeswax performed as well as the Resolene shown in the videos. I applied some of the cooled mixture, heated with a hair drier, rubbed it in with my fingers, then rubbed and buffed off well with a t-shirt. A bead of water applied just sat there on top.

Slightly off the original topic, but I'm wondering if wax mixtures alone are sufficient for sealing in dye, or if an acrylic or whatever else applied first is better to lock it in.

Edited by JDM

JDM,

Similiar to your mixture, .....I use a mixture that I picked up from DWIGHT...all by weight 1) Beeswax 2) (real)Neatsfoot Oil 3) Wax for canning (forgot what it's called and I'm at work!!!). Rub it in after all else is done. Not just water resistant...waterproof. Semper-fi Mike