SantaFeMarie

How Is Leather Filigree Attached To The Solid Back?

This is somewhat of a random curiousity question, but here goes: how is leather filigree attached to a solid back piece? For example, I'm looking at some photos of vintage purses where the decoration is described as filigree - but I can see enough detail to determine whether or not it is stitched on. I supposed it could be glued in place, but would that actually be secure enough for an item that sees as much abuse as a purse flap?

Put a medium layer of contact cement on the back of the outside layer. Do not let it dry, carefully place it on the back layer. Weight it down and let dry.

Every piece of filigree leatherwork I ever saw had the top piece as the finished piece, and the filigree was glued to the underside of it.

Meaning, you make your design in the piece you're working on. Then do the cut outs, and glue or stitch the inset piece to the flesh side or bottom of the finished piece.

Hope this helps.

I should have added that most filigree work has a bottom layer to it also. Like a sandwich.

The filigree is between the outer & inner layer. Sorry I wasn't more clear earlier.

Al Stohlmans top 20 book has a nice section on filigree.