RavenAus

Getting Serious About A New Machine - The Colt

Colt_saddle_machine_556.jpg

This image is from the companies website (yeah... thought you noticed that...) and it's the machine I'm looking at getting. I was wondering what you more experienced types could tell me about it? Does anyone have one of these? Is it worth the money? Should I be looking for something else?

I'm looking at sewing mostly 2mm veg, 3 to 4 layers tops so a normal top of 8mm. The cheaper option would be the boot patcher but I've not heard that many good things about them. This would be my first proper leather machine, the old one is just a tough old cloth job than manages some leather work.

Thanks all :)

The Q-Stitch is a Juki 441 clone, pretty much identical to the Cowboy, Cobra and Techsew machines sold in the USA and Canada. I have a Cowboy CB4500 that is like that Colt and it sews from about 2mm up to about 22mm, depending on the size of thread and needle. Obviously, one needs much thinner thread and a smaller needle to sew 2mm than 8mm (~1/3 inch).

If your projects range between 6 and 8mm (1/4" to 3/8"), I think that b207 (T210) bonded nylon, or bonded polyester would do just fine. You would use size 160 or 180 leather point needles with this size thread, on top and in the bobbin.

BTW: Get the machine from an authorized dealer who will assist you with its operation, troubleshooting glitches and parts replacements, if needed.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Hi,

4300 Aud equals to 3931 USD, thats an expensive 441 clone. I heard about hard Australian taxes on sewing machines, but thats about the double of an Us sold 441 clone. And its before tax too. The machine comes with a standard clutch motor and speed reducer, not a servo motor like they do in the rest of the world. I thought I was living in an expensive country, you will be able to buy an original Juki TSC 441 for that kind of money everywhere else.

Tor