xilli007

Rodi Hand Skiving Machine

Hi guys,

I recently acquired an old Rodi hand skiving machine. My plan with it is to refurbish it completely and make it functional again.

After some adjustments, cleaning off some rust, sharpening the knife, oiling bits etc it finally skives and splits leather successfully!

The only problem I find is that it leaves quite severe marks on the back..... Has anyone got any experience with these machines and knows how to solve this problem...?

I was thinking of grinding off the ridges of the feeding wheels but I'm not sure it would remain enough 'strength' to feed the leather in properly....

Any help greatly appreciated!!

post-29275-0-49271900-1378333293_thumb.j

post-29275-0-04466000-1378333303_thumb.j

That machine is a shoe sole skiver. It was not meant to skive craft leather.

Pcox is right. Don't grind, you can mess up the spacing and won't work. It looks like the bottom wheel is a driver. If so then you could get a wheel made by a machinist that is smooth for the top. A friend of mine got one made for a wide American for $40 last year. These will work with one driver. They will do vegtan and firm latigo OK with a good sharp blade.

Is this RODI the same? I want to know if it can cut an angled channel into sole leather - please see photos. There seems to be lots of screw adjustments on it... AND I see it has a vertical knife too.post-23475-0-50953800-1441312250_thumb.j

Will it cut a side angled channel as is seen here for shoemaking?

post-23475-0-15375700-1441313478_thumb.j

I don't quite understand. Are you trying to cut a channel in the insole for laying in a welt or is it another operation. I've always used a american channel tool (knife) and a flat bottomed french skiver (with or without the outside toe ground off, kind of like a straight version of a rand/welt knife tool) to carve out the actual channel.

Like I said, I might not understand.

Art

I have/ had a few of these machines. I think there's no proper solution to get rid of these marks, that's the way it works and transports the leather. These machines were designed to skive and cut welts, here you have no problem with the marks. You can't cut an side angled channel with these machines, for that you need a machine like a Junker Ruh R28.