Colt Hammerless

First Avenger, And First Crossdraw

I just finished this one recently for my cousin. It's the first Avenger style I've done, as well as the first crossdraw. I made three prototypes before making this one. The third turned out well enough, that I'm going to keep it for myself for when I'm hiking (my backpack gets in the way of my normal strongside holster.) It's made from 8 oz. Wickett and Craig russet saddle skirting, 15 degree rearward cant, for a 1.5 inch gunbelt. The main holster body is Angelus Spice, while the reinforcement/belt loop tunnel is Spice cut 5 to 1 with denatured alcohol. Neetsfoot oiled after wet forming, and the finish is Angelus 600 cut 50/50 with water, which I dipped the holster in (twice.)

Paul

P1050078_zps3bdc9aeb.jpg

P1050098_zpsb0d5c7c6.jpg

P1050104_zps3b85330f.jpg

Great looking holster! Love the colors.

Nice work, Paul. Have you had any problem with the Angelus (cut with water) remaining sticky for a very long time? Like days or even weeks?

Edited by SooperJake

Dig the colors. The whole thing is well executed. Oh and by the way your stitch line around the trigger guard looks perfect from the picture I am super jealous.

SooperJake, If you put it on really thick it can be tacky for a few days. I only seem to get it thick like that if I'm brushing it on. If I use an airbrush, or dip it, it doesn't stay tacky very long. Now that it's summer it feels like it's ready to head out the door only a few hours afterward, although I still wait at least a day. I like the Angelus 600 series better than Resolene if I'm going to brush it on, as it seems far less likely to have little bubbles pop up. If I'm airbrushing, then Resolene (also cut 50 percent with water) works just as well.

Thanks Southernbeau! My stitching was a bit too close on this one as I had to pound the dummy gun in pretty hard with a rubber mallet. I'll need to loosen it a touch on the next one.

Paul