Sign in to follow this  
Chavez

Strap End Punches & Oval Punches.

Hi again!

Just a few quick questions:

For strap end punches (pointed), is it a bad idea to get one punch for, say 1 1/2in wide straps and then use it for 1in to 1 1/2 straps? How easy is it to use them on straps that are not as wide as the punch?

The budget's tight as usual and getting 5-7 different punches would be harder than 1-2 good ones.

Also I would be grateful if you could advise me if oval hole punches are a must-have for dog collars, belts and any other straps with thick leather? At the moment I olnly have regular round ones but it seems that if the leather is thick, I need wider holes to have less trouble putting the buckle tongue through...

Thank you!

While it is certainly doable to use a 1-1/2" round strap end punch on a 1" belt, the look would be different. When used on a 1-1/2" belt you will get more of a semi-circular rounded end. If you use it on a 1" belt, there will be some corners. If you can live with that, then it's find.

Andrew

I made it work early the way you are speaking. I recommend the right size punch even though it's a tough pill to swallow. The point of the punch is to reduce time and be consistent, if you waste the time saved by screwing with placement what was the point?

I can't speak for oval punches I use round.

7-5.jpg

Edited by Eaglestroker

Thank you.

Thats what I thought =( Can't afford half a dozen dixons, so I guess I'll have to go for something cheaper and then upgrade to dixons once I start trading.

Unless of course someone talks me out of buying craftools...

Do you use oversized round hole punches? (much wider than the tongue?)

And do you use a crew punch / slot punch for the buckle? if so, how wide should the slot be?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you.

Thats what I thought =( Can't afford half a dozen dixons, so I guess I'll have to go for something cheaper and then upgrade to dixons once I start trading.

And do you use a crew punch / slot punch for the buckle? if so, how wide should the slot be?

Thanks for your help!

You might want to check out the Weaver punches. The round strap end punches I've purchased have been pretty good and they're not terribly expensive.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

I can't see a uk seller of Weaver tols, so dixon would probably be cheaper in the end =/

Ah well, time to give up booze for a few months :)

Thank you.

Thanks for your help!

My strap punches are Osborne and I've been happy with them.

I do use the oversized punches.

Regarding for the buckle I have used an Osborne oblong punch in 7/8" length before, the problem I run into is every belt and buckle are different. I typically just park each end with the punch, cut the straight lines, then punch the holes.

My strap punches are Osborne and I've been happy with them.

I do use the oversized punches.

Regarding for the buckle I have used an Osborne oblong punch in 7/8" length before, the problem I run into is every belt and buckle are different. I typically just park each end with the punch, cut the straight lines, then punch the holes.

Can't find any osborne punches here either =)

Do you mean you punch two round holes and then connect them for the tongue slot? Thats the method I'm using now but its a bit time consuming and I can't get the hole to look nice. Probably just lack of experience.

Can't find any osborne punches here either =)

Do you mean you punch two round holes and then connect them for the tongue slot? Thats the method I'm using now but its a bit time consuming and I can't get the hole to look nice. Probably just lack of experience.

I think that's exactly what stroker was saying, i used to do that myself before i bought a couple of oblong punches. If you get an oblong punch and it turns out that it's not long enough for what you need, you can always punch another hole which overlaps the first hole you punched. I end up doing this when i use a larger buckle or make a larger collar than what I normally make. Sometimes the tongue slot comes out a little crooked, when you over lap the oblong holes though.