McJeep

First project

So I bought a friends tools and hides when she decided to get out of the business. She had moved and did not have the room for things anymore, and apparently found that the leather trade around here was quite "male" oriented. So for $400 I got about 3 hides worth of leather, a bunch of stamps, swivel knife, mallet etc etc etc ... and a set of started engine guard chaps that she was making for another riding buddy of mine. I agreed to finish off the job.

Now what she had started was a front and back pice for each side - these were to be laced together around the perimeter of the engine guards and had holes started (I think she used a dull roofing nail and certainly no straightedge for layout) for pockets to be mounted.

So me with all of my vast knowledge and talent for leather work and stitchery (zilch / zero / nada ;0) has to make some kind of silk purse from the proverbial sows ear. Before this I was lucky if I could sew a button on.

First decision was that I thought the materials were way too heavy a guage to wrap around the crash bars so I decided on trimming them (getting rid of crooked cuts at the same time) down so that they could be glued back to back and laced to the bars as an insert. Then came the "how do I hide all of the out of straight stitch holes in the original leather? (note - I did not have any more of the 9 oz and that's the guage that my buddy wanted used)

Long story short is that I planged the pocket design to cover the boo boos, learned how to do a sailmakers stitch (they're "getting" straighter ;0), whipping, use the various punches and needles etc, and visited the $30 store about 6 times (can't visit the local Tandy without dropping at least $30) I now have things to the point where I can glue fronts to backs, do a final edge trim once I see his bike in person again, and will punch the lacing holes/edge dye and mount these things at that point.

Critique away folks - any suggestions on how I could've made the job easier or prettier - don't mention braiding, I haven't read Grant's book (got it for Xmas ;0) yet ;)

While I'm at it - Huuuuge Thank You's to all of the posters here - have learned wayyy more here by reading answers posted to other people's newbie questions than I ever could've gotten any other way - 'think I'ma gon' be here a while LOL

Cheers,

Rob (Bearcat Leatherworks to be ;0)

img_3706-0.jpg

img_3707-0.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

post-7317-1231555888_thumb.jpg

post-7317-1231555913_thumb.jpg

Well I'm pretty new to leather myself so I won't critique you. It looks like you have done a great job making something nice out of someone else's mistakes. Good Job, James

Look pretty good to me. I have never made them with that thick of leather. Do you have the bars to fit them to? I've found getting the seam to follow the bars to be the hgardest part, since they sometimes have a bend in the bars.

One little trick is to wet the whole thing before you slide it on, then let it dry in place.

I put a couple of snaps down the straight side to hold them closed so the wind won't take them off. You'll also need a strap at the top to hold them on.

Ian

Look pretty good to me. I have never made them with that thick of leather. Do you have the bars to fit them to? I've found getting the seam to follow the bars to be the hgardest part, since they sometimes have a bend in the bars.

One little trick is to wet the whole thing before you slide it on, then let it dry in place.

I put a couple of snaps down the straight side to hold them closed so the wind won't take them off. You'll also need a strap at the top to hold them on.

Ian

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, it is heavy - I've seen another set she did with this guage and I just thought they were way overly thick and bulky looking - that's why I opted to do them as inserts rather than wrap around. I was wondring about getting them to stay with the bars as there is a compound bend in the bars themselves - good idea :0) I'm cementing the front to back so the snap won't be an issue but yes, am planning on using a strap to hold them tight towards the down tubes, maybe some of that nylon web so I can use those friction buckles?

The bike is a couple hours north of here so I won't see the bike till final fit at my bud's place - will be taking the tool bag with me so I can finish them on site.

Rob

Edited by McJeep

All finished ... all but installation anywho

Got the final trimming done, got an edger to round things off, burnished em just enough to smooth things out (none of the edges will be seen at all), and a nice heavy coat of oil to waterproof em (cuz I know the owner won't ;0)

For those who do all of their burnishing by hand? Props to ya folks - da's hard woik ;0) I think I'll be investing in a benchtop drill press and burnishing wheel from that ebay guy LOL My mitts won't put up with this stuff much anymore.

Will punch lacing holes in the morning when we install em ... "after" verifying that they do indeed NOT need any trimming. They shouldn't as I sized em up against another harley at the local dealer. Ya shoulda seen this bozo salesman eying me like a Hawk even though I made sure that one of the reps was there with me... you'd think I was putting something wrapped in sandpaper on the bike LOL

Anyway

img_3716web-0.jpg

img_3718web-0.jpg

Finally got these delivered / installed today - customer wasn't able to get to my place till now because of the weather/roads - apparently it's winter ;0)

I like the overall design but smaller pockets would've been better - unfortunately the holes were pre-punched for the pockets by the person I bought the tools and supplies from to get into leatherwork. Wasn't gonna waste all those materials and buyer wanted big pockets soooo.

Also, the flash did weird things to the lace colouring - they match much better than the pics show. I do like the fact that this style engine chaps does not cover up the chrome on the case guards - if ya pay for chrome y'oughtta be able to see it ;0)

Now on to the wife's sissy bag.

preview_img_38780.jpg

preview_img_38830.jpg

preview_img_38850.jpg

Looks good. I like the pockets...I don't know what I'd put in them, but I like them!

I like how the pics are a nice size to see w/o having to click on them, how did you do that???

Edited by Mick