chekkarn

How To Sew Like This?

Hello! Pretty new here and this is my first post.

I recently started making watch straps for myself and I can't wrap my head around how to sew like this and make it comfortable on the backside:

nwm13258263221040_1_t5.jpg

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

If I was doing it I would run the end of the thread out the middle of the two straps after sewing it several times through the hole and around the edge. I certainly hope you're going to shoot for better sewing on the bottom than this company did. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl! I figured it out. It was a lot easier once I just tried it out.

Chekkarn,

A word of advice on the right side strap, if I may:

Stitching across the entire strap behind a buckle or D-ring like that will weaken the leather considerably. I call it the "postage stamp effect". It basically creates a perforation right along the major stress axis. On a watch strap this isn't going to matter too much, but if you ever do any kind of strap work that sees heavy use (horse gear, belts, purse straps, etc.) it is much better to sew for a short distance ( 1-2 inches, depending on the width and thickness of the leather used) along both sides. This will make a much stronger joint.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Black Dogg

i totally agree with black dogg. i see this sewing across the entire strap being done quite frequently. i can't understand why anyone would do it like this. the most stress i've put on a watch strap is exactly in the area of the buckle as shown here.

Thanks for your input guys!

As it is a watch strap it will not see much stress and tension so I'm not worried that it will break from daily wear. However I should have been more clear about it was the top left stitch I was wondering how it would be done best.

So another question. Would you sew a strap like this:

Vintage Rolex style

Watch-3110.jpg

Yes it is indeed made from my mothers old belt :thumbsup:

Watch-3109-1.jpg

Example:

P1030118.JPG

I really like this style. But is it more looks than function doing it like this?

Edited by chekkarn

i don't care for the looks of that so i wouldn't make mine that way. but that's just me. i also wouldn't leave the back raw leather like that. i'll be lining mine when i make them. now if i could just find a decent tutorial i'd be all set. :)

but if you like that look go ahead and make them that way.

Thanks for your input :)

I do indeed love how it looks.

not quite my favorite look, either. the leather is beautiful with it's patina and age, but i would add a row of stitches down the perimeter of both sides - as well as line it.