hidepounder

Gathering Of Masters 2012

ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL LEATHER TOOLERS!

The generous folks at the Western Folklife Center are repeating their "Gathering of Masters" carving class again this year! The event is being held in conjunction with the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering, The Great Basin Gear Show and Sale and a number of related trade shows, in Elko, NV.

Last year's event was a sellout, so if you missed that class, this is your chance!

The format is designed for intermediate toolers. Last years students included intermediate and advanced carvers and professional saddle makers as well. Students chose patterns from the examples provided by the instructors and were assisted over the two days in the completion of their piece.

Last year's lineup of award winning instructors are returning again this year. They are Don Butler, Steve Mecum Gaylerd Thissle, Doug Krause, Andy Stevens and Bob Park. This group of instructors represent a wide variety of carving styles which affords the student with a unique opportunity to expand their skills.

DATE: January 31, & February 1, 2012

COST: $325 per person which includes catered lunches. Class will be limited to the first 35 students. Tickets will be available to WFC members on September 6th, 2011 at www.westernfolklife.org. Tickets will be available to the general public on October 6th, 2011.

CONTACT: For information contact Andy Stevens at 308-991-2364 or andy@andystevens.net

NOTE: Students will be required to provide their own tools, stamp rock, pencils, paper and tracing film, Tooling leather will be provided.

If I promise not to learn any secret carving techniques (I can't carve at all), can I be a fly on the wall? Nevada in the winter sounds like a good plan, especially mixed with leather!

Johanna

If I promise not to learn any secret carving techniques (I can't carve at all), can I be a fly on the wall? Nevada in the winter sounds like a good plan, especially mixed with leather!

Johanna

It was beautiful there last year Johanna. You needed a jacket when you were outside, but not a very heavy one.....but it was pretty darned nice!

I just bought my ticket!! Can't wait !!

I just bought my ticket!! Can't wait !!

That's fantastic, I'm anxious to meet you! You're going to have a good time!

Bobby

For anyone who might be interested, I'm told there are still a couple of seats left for this carving class. It was a great success last year and I'm looking forward to it again this year. It's also my understanding that it will not be repeated next year as other events have been planned, so if you have any interest you might want to call soon! attached is a flyer with all the info.

The class consists of six instructors who assist the students with the carving pattern they have chosen. This year the patterns were designed so that a student can tool more than one over the course of the two day class. Primarily designed for intermediate to advanced tooIers, it's an excellent opportunity to be exposed to some different styles and techniques of western floral tooling.

:party26:

post-7682-081949400 1326002461_thumb.jpg

Wish I could go. I've got cabin fever pretty bad. Elko is a nice little town but it can get really really cold. Bring your heavier jackets just in case.

ATTENTION TOOLERS: For anyone who might be interested, I just received news that a couple of seats have opened up in the "Gathering of Masters" carving workshop in Elko, NV. Last years workshop was a great success and included a variety of attendees ranging from professional saddle makers and toolers as well as individuals who just wanted to improve their tooling skills. A number of them are returning again this year. The instructors are award winning artists who represent a variety of tooling styles and work well together in the workshop.

Lunch is included each day and rooms in Elko are readily available. If you've been on the bubble this will be your last opportunity to attend this great workshop. Due to scheduling conflicts, the workshop will not be offered again next year. Attached is a flyer about the event. If you are interested call (775)738-7508 or (308)991-2364.