TomG

Sewing Close To The Edge

I want to make a case for my wife's Nook tablet similar to her store bought one. I am planning on doing the same sort of attachment as it uses. But how do I sew this close to the molded leather? I know I will leave some excess outside of the seam and trim later, but that raised partion stumps me.

The picture might not be clear, but that top to bottom edge is flush with each other like a holster, etc.

I have a Singer 111W155 machine.

Tom

post-14889-095844200 1327289557_thumb.jp

Edited by TomG

You need a foot that will allow you to sew up to an edge. Another alternative is to hand sew it.

Aaron

Thanks... I though about hand sewing and is what I may have to do. The stitching is so close to the upward curve of the molded piece, that I can't figure out how a a machine can hold the leather down and then pierce it with the needle without it bouncing up. Even the walking foot on my machine has more metal between the needle hole and the outside edge than the distance between the upward wall of the molding and the stitch line <G>

Of course I don't have to be that close to it. Contact cement it in place and stitch it as close as I can and it should be good to go.

Later

Tom

Take a look at the left toe/right toe feet available. With the right set of feet (choice of outer + the center foot), you should be able to sew to within 1/16th" of a vertical surface.....provided there's room above it for the needle bar stroke. The direction of sewing would determine which side you'd use.

I bet you can get a roller foot for your machine. Leave the lip a little wider sew then cut the extra off.

I want to make a case for my wife's Nook tablet similar to her store bought one. I am planning on doing the same sort of attachment as it uses. But how do I sew this close to the molded leather? I know I will leave some excess outside of the seam and trim later, but that raised partion stumps me.

The picture might not be clear, but that top to bottom edge is flush with each other like a holster, etc.

I have a Singer 111W155 machine.

Tom

Sometimes they cut after sewing. That way you can have the foot outside the raised edge you could consider that. Sme places even have special attachments that cut as they sew.

Andrew

Thanks.. I seem to call seeing a roller foot somewhere I'm gonna check with my local sewing machine shop for it today

Tom

Thanks.. I seem to call seeing a roller foot somewhere I'm gonna check with my local sewing machine shop for it today

Tom

Do a search on Ebay for a zipper foot for a walking foot machine, there is a left and a right foot. I would use it with an edge guide.

As others have stated, you need a set of left single / right single feet. Luckily my Cobra 4 came with a set. I'm sure you can find a set for your Singer.