sniper

Another Stingray Hide Question

There is analog of rawhide for stingray (same), sold for Japanese swords customizing, different colors. It could be wet formed.

O.K.; new guy here, and a novice holster/knife sheath maker. I have a sting ray skin that I want to use for a sheath for my personal knife.

My ray skin is thin and very supple. I propose to make an inner sheath out of 5-6 oz. leather, and use the ray hide for the outside.

This is how I think I'll do it. Anyone who knows better, PLEASE jump in and correct me, because this is a first for me.

After I get my inner sheath cut out, I will wet and form it, and after it is dry, glue the ray skin to it over the curve, to avoid wrinkling.

Is it necessary to stitch the two layers all around to avoid future separation? What sort of glue works best for this type of work?

Once I get the gluing and stitching done, I wet form my sheaths to the knife. I have run warm water over my other sheaths, then put the saran wrapped knife in, and massaged the leather into final shape.

The quoted post says it is possible. It's a fish, so is it waterproof?

What is the wetting and forming likely to do to the cement holding the two leathers together? Anything?

This is kind of long, but thanks for any help you can give.

Sniper, I don't do overlays very often ( mostly just don't like them) but I have done them.First , unless your knife is very small I would bump up your leather weight to at least 7-8 0r 8-9 oz if it's say about a 8" blade.That will give you the stiffness required.I would also have the flesh side out to glue to the stingray.Use most any contact cement, 3M or Barge cement.No need to form before gluing as the rayskin will get pulled tight on the outside.Yes I would sew it to the liner. then dye and seal the inside of your sheath, before assembly.Dave

.First , unless your knife is very small I would bump up your leather weight to at least 7-8 0r 8-9 oz if it's say about a 8" blade.That will give you the stiffness required.I would also have the flesh side out to glue to the stingray.Use most any contact cement, 3M or Barge cement.No need to form before gluing as the rayskin will get pulled tight on the outside.Yes I would sew it to the liner. then dye and seal the inside of your sheath, before assembly.Dave

Thanks for the tips, Dave; based on your definition, my knife is kind of small...a 4 inch blade. Soooo...I shall proceed and FEAR NOT! If I understand, 5-6 oz. should be plenty for the lining, right? Posting photos seems to be fairly easy on this forum. I may even get brave enough to show some of my first, fumbling attempts to be a leatherworker....maybe. .

Later; C.