Patrice

Calculating Cost Of Liquid/finishing?

Hi.

I was wondering how much to charge for each liquid and cream for coloring and finishing the item.

It's easy when i count my time or others material cost, but when it come liauid, i really don't know wath to charge?

If somebody already have it figured, i would be glad.

Thank you.

In order to calculate that, I'd think you'd have to keep track of how much of each liquid it takes per piece.

Might not be worth the time and effort.

Think of it this way: with every step in the process, you're adding more time. The value of the liquids will never eclipse the value of the time, unless there's some new gold- or platinum based finish I've not yet heard about.

So.....maybe just focus on the additional TIME?

I make holsters, and I guesstimate that only about $10 worth of materials goes into each one.

Edited by Big O

As stated, liquid is hard to figure. I add .25 cents US to anything I dye, unless it is a really large project. In the long run, that covers my cost of liquid material.

Thank's to both of you. I think your both right!

I had a pot of Fiebing Aussie' from last year ans it's still half-full. And i have done lots of belts, flasks, pouches, you name it.

I would probably charged from in between 50 cents to 2$ depending of the job done.

I add a line on all my invoices for "Dye, Finish, Waxes, and Snake Oil." For wallets, its a dollar, and the price goes up as the item gets bigger. Its such a small part of the invoice that no one has questioned me on it, and it should cover all my materials.

I add a line on all my invoices for "Dye, Finish, Waxes, and Snake Oil." For wallets, its a dollar, and the price goes up as the item gets bigger. Its such a small part of the invoice that no one has questioned me on it, and it should cover all my materials.

Thank's azrider. :)