I just thought I would start a topic...

I use both Bardge, & master cement on my leather prodjects...

I would like to here from all, on which cement yall use, & why...

I know the fourmular has changed with the enviormantal issues in todays world.

So I want to know your view on this issue.

I think other leathercraftpeople would like to here about it also...

SO FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR $0.02 in........

PS: Also talk about thinning the cement. ex: how much, how often, & which thinner you use,brand name or generic???

Edited by craftsman827

I use both Masters and Barge (original Barge), and like them both. I have a lot of experience with Barge and only a little experience with Masters. I began using Masters when I thought I was not going to be able to the original Barge any longer. It seems to me that Masters drys a lot faster than Barge does, so for me that is one of the things I think about....drying time. When I'm gluing smaller pieces, I usually grab the Masters.

I use Barge the most because that's what I have the most experience with. I thin it...probably 10% to 20% depending how long it's been in my bottle. Just enough to be able to spread it evenly. If it's thick and I have a large area to glue, it is difficult to spread evenly. Masters can be thinned also, but I don't have any experience with it yet. I would assume the properties are the same as Barge.

I think the Masters may be a little stronger than Barge, and so that is a consideration when I use it also. The more I use the Masters, the more I like it. I have also noticed that when gluing latigo with Barge, I usually have to coat twice, but with Masters, I don't.

The bottom line for me is that I like them both and enjoy having the option to use each to my advantage.

Bob

I used to use Barge a few years ago, til I found out about Weldwood. Weldwood is all I use now,and you can get it at any hardware store. It says right on the can that it works on leather....and it DOES. It runs about $6.00 a pint. Just my .02.

Neither I use plain old rubber cement.

BillB.

I've been using weldwood for more than 15 years. It works fine, drys fast enough and sticks good. The best part is that it's 22.00$ for a gallon. I have a new can of masters for a year now and still haven't opened it. Go figure, why mess with success.

Thats my two bits worth.

Hi All,

I've been using Weldwood for several years now. It works good, it's cheap, & it's readily available. Only problem I've found is, I don't know of anything to get it off my fingers, when I get messy. Ed

I used to use Barge a few years ago, til I found out about Weldwood. Weldwood is all I use now,and you can get it at any hardware store. It says right on the can that it works on leather....and it DOES. It runs about $6.00 a pint. Just my .02.

I was at lowes today and was looking at the weldwood but I wasnt sure wich one to buy. One of them was a red can that said it was a gel solution and the other one was in a green can that said it was more eco friendly. of course huh. any way wich one do you use?

Barge for me. I like the original Barge. I have a good supply and will keep using it until I am out. Then I will reevaluate. I use whatever I have to be honest! LOL!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I used the GEL weldwood at first, but it is pretty thick. The eco friendly stuff is alot thinner and easier to spread. Also I messed up on a previous post, it cost about $6.00 a QUART not a pint.

Hi All,

I've been using Weldwood for several years now. It works good, it's cheap, & it's readily available. Only problem I've found is, I don't know of anything to get it off my fingers, when I get messy. Ed

That's a good sign that it sticks well to your own skin. I think I'll look more into using it.

ed

I used the GEL weldwood at first, but it is pretty thick. The eco friendly stuff is alot thinner and easier to spread. Also I messed up on a previous post, it cost about $6.00 a QUART not a pint.

Thanks I will have to pick some up and give it a try.

The weldwood glue that we buy here in Canada is solvent based. It seems to dry quickly. Only thing is if your doing alot, open the windows some for fresh air.

Barge for me. I like the original Barge. I have a good supply and will keep using it until I am out. Then I will reevaluate. I use whatever I have to be honest! LOL!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

:17: I'm with you Bree - I've got a couple of gallons of original formula Barge stashed away and will re-appraise the situation when that runs out.

What type of adhesive is Barge? Neoprene? PVA? Other? Can't say that I have ever heard of it.

Is it available in the UK?

Steve

I use Masters. It is $32.00gal. and is very strong. I thin it about 30% with acetone, spreads even, flat and fast.

When thinning with acetone it takes about 10 minutes to mix completely.

:cheers:

Steve, It is a contact adhesive. Available through Tandy UK - or was...

Much like Evo-Stick but a tad tougher. Thixofix is similar.

Thanks muchly for the needles - the package arrived this morning. I'll give them a try when I get home tonight.

Ray

What type of adhesive is Barge? Neoprene? PVA? Other? Can't say that I have ever heard of it.

Steve

Steve, It is a contact adhesive. Available through Tandy UK - or was...

Much like Evo-Stick but a tad tougher. Thixofix is similar.

Thanks muchly for the needles - the package arrived this morning. I'll give them a try when I get home tonight.

Ray

Thanks Ray, sorry I only just found this post!

Steve

Well, I posted this information some time back and received some scathing responses! You would have thought I was a heretic during the Inquisition for even suggesting this. But, here goes once again.

I have used Tanners Bond with good results for several years (installing holster linings, assembling holsters prior to sewing). A while back, I was in the middle of a production run and ran out of cement, on a weekend of course. I had a bottle of Elmer's Glue All on hand and decided to try it out on a couple of pieces.

Applicator tip is very handy for close work. Cemented up a couple of pieces, dressed and beveled edges, doused in water, wet-formed and cased without problems, finished out the items (including neatsfoot oil and acrylic sealant) and was happy with the results. Strong bond, resists water very well, flexes where necessary with no adverse effects I could determine.

I'm not suggesting that anyone change his normal practice. All I'm saying is that there are alternatives worth looking at.

Elmer's Glue All is NOT the same stuff found in the little bottles used by school children for scrapbooking projects. It is readily available, and as reasonably priced as anything you will find.

Here's another vote for Weldwood gel.....it's close by at Lowe's and Home Depot, inexpensive, and works very good. I buy it by the qt.

Well, I use both Weldwood and Barge (original). I like both. It just depends on what I am doing as to what I use. There is one other adheasive that I use in special applications. Durring the racing season here in Mi. I make a lot of billets and stirrup leathers, for the excersize guys at the track. They like the split type with the nylon reinforcement in the middle. For that use, because it is very convenient and quick I use 3M super 77 spray to stick the layers together till I sew them together. As for getting the glue off of your hands, I use some old fashioned laquer thinner on a rag. I know there are people out there that will say all kinds of eco things, but; I was in the automotive paint business since the 60's and used it all my life and it has not been detrimental to my health, and besides, I'm old enough to use the grandfather clause.

Bondo Bob

I thought I'd post here instead of starting a new thread.

I'm running low on supply of Tandy CC and need to switch to using the gallons and thinner. I had wanted to switch to XL-8. Keith told me to get more familiar XL-8. I did and he was right. It's the only CC I've used that requires one coat, as stated on the container.

To make a long story short, I needed a two-dollar item from Weaver so had to think up some other needed items. They have Barge at the same price for which I can get XL-8. I noticed that the Barge container also states one coat (Tandy and Duall 88 for me require two coats, which doubles the work time for glueing). I know many people aren't satisfied with Barge's new non-hazardous formula, but are you able to get by with using only one coat? Would you say that minimum wait time for assembly is 20 to 30 minutes?

Ed

Rick,

Would you say that acetone could be used universally as a thinner for all brands of CC, or does it just happen that it works well with Masters? Is Masters a yellowish-tannish color like XL-8 and Weldwood or is it more opaque like Tandy and Duall-88? I'm beginning to wonder if the darker colored CCs are better.

Ed

I use Masters. It is $32.00gal. and is very strong. I thin it about 30% with acetone, spreads even, flat and fast.

When thinning with acetone it takes about 10 minutes to mix completely.

:cheers:

Steve

Barge is a contact cement. It's available in the us, but is classified as a hazardous material in quantities over the 4 oz tube, which limits the methods that it can be shipped when you are buying in quantity. I like it because it has a stronger bond than Testor's Rubber cement, and is bendable after it dries.

I have not seen Masters. Is it a contact cement like Barge?

I have been using original formula Barge. I mostly do smaller projects like bags and collars. I need most of my projects to be bendable after they are finished, which is why I started using Barge to begin with.

For some smaller projects where using contact cement is not practical, I occasionally use Titebond's hide glue.

Testor's Rubber cement is good if I just need a bond to hold something in place when I sew, or need the cement for a lighter, easily discolored project.

-swivelsphinx

Weaver told me today that the new Barge does not have this hazardous shipping requirement.

Barge is a contact cement. It's available in the us, but is classified as a hazardous material in quantities over the 4 oz tube, which limits the methods that it can be shipped when you are buying in quantity. I like it because it has a stronger bond than Testor's Rubber cement, and is bendable after it dries.