SmoothZey

Leather corset !?

My girlfriend asked me if it it ''possible'' to make leather corset ... i said yes ... and she asked for one ... for Christmas lol and thats only some hours later that i realized into what ''contract'' i put myself in ... damn ... i googled some corset pattern but nothing very specific ... can someone give me some links/advice/personal experiences about making leather corset ....

questions:

• can i use a pattern originally made for clothing creation (cloth corset with metal wire) ?
  • what kind of leather is best suited for this kind of work ...
  • what thickness, vegtan or not
  • what tools do i need for stitching and what technique should i use for a corset stitching
  • more to come .. maybe lol

lol I had a similar question posed to me when I started sewing clothing, and I made sure to keep her deadline as indefinite.

Use google to look for Victorian corsets. They're probably the type you want and there's a lot of good resources out there for them.

I would like to add a question in to your list if I may.

From what I've read there's 3 layers to a corset. Do you just use leather on the outside layer and use standard fabrics for the other 2 layers, or do you do all 3 layers in leather?

Well, first, do we talk about a corset in garment leather or formed in veg tan?

If garment leather may I suggest Plonge from HideHouse (Ca) It's a beautiful leather with just right shine, thinn and yet verry durable. I even make this one on an ordinary household sewing mashine (Husqvarna). All my corsets always have 4 layers of material, 1 that you actually se ie: leather, silk or similar. One layer of coutil and 2 layesr of cotton to wear closest to the boddy to let i breath.

The easiest model to start up with is the Victorian and you can find patterns at any Joanns store.

Pasting in one of my corsets in plonge leather and chinese silk:

Thanks Tina. I was hoping you would reply as I love that corset.

I'm gonna have to make a trip to my local fabric store to check for some coutil. I hope they have it, I hate waiting on orders. Sorry for asking in your thread Smooth.

For some reason the links I had e-mailed to myself are all not working so I won't bother linking them to you for reference.

Hey Zev!

I helped a few young ladies make corsets for halloween and for Ren Fest this coming weekend. I got lotsa advise from Tina and Tashabear.

The thread is as follows:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4546

Tasha put a link in that shows how to make a pattern from scratch using a ducttape model and then a link with spiral lacing. Both of these links were a big help and the spiral lacing looked alot better than the standard lacing method like on your running shoes.....

I made sure their corsets were not overly sexy as they are young, but they came out great and the girls were extremely happy!

I used regular suede from Tandy for theirs as it is cheap, durable and sturdy and they will be running around all weekend in them at Ren Fest.

Tina and Tasha are by far the two you should listen too!! LOL They know their stuff. I help the above link to the advise they gave me will help you as well.

And yes, we do expect pix when it is all done!!!! ;)

William

thx everyone :) damn ... i got myself in trouble by accepting her request ... damn love .. make us do weird thing ;) neway ... i started from the little link twofour878 posted ... (custom corset pattern generator) ...

here is my results (two piece of fabric ..) is it supposed to looks like this ?

corset1.jpg

post-7818-1226296183_thumb.jpg

Well, first, do we talk about a corset in garment leather or formed in veg tan?

If garment leather may I suggest Plonge from HideHouse (Ca) It's a beautiful leather with just right shine, thinn and yet verry durable. I even make this one on an ordinary household sewing mashine (Husqvarna). All my corsets always have 4 layers of material, 1 that you actually se ie: leather, silk or similar. One layer of coutil and 2 layesr of cotton to wear closest to the boddy to let i breath.

The easiest model to start up with is the Victorian and you can find patterns at any Joanns store.

Pasting in one of my corsets in plonge leather and chinese silk:

LOL Tina is there anything in the leather arts that you DONT do in a outstanding manner?

I'm far from an expert on this but the busk looks a tad long. Best way to figure it out is to stick it on her and see how it fits.

Good luck on making it from scratch, I ordered a couple patterns from farthingales for an underbust corset and a victorian corset. Hopefully I will be able to make it soon. I have to build myself a workspace first :bawling:

hehe no glory for thos without ambition ...lol ill try to figure out how to make a corset fit by myself ...( i mean ill try to make my pattern) ... that what i did for my bracer and shoulder armor and it turned out good ... lol ... but i understand that well fitted corset isnt a raw/rough job like the armor i did ... neway .. university take a lot of my time ill try to keep you informed about the progress of the corset ...

I'd say follow what 24878 said, put the piece you have cut out on her and see how it looks! Even if you make it from a pattern, fitting it is trial and error as EVERY woman is shaped a little different.... ;)

This link that Tasha posted in my thread will help you make a custom fitted pattern for your girlfriend:

http://www.thedragonsrobes.com/taping.html

I have used this method with everything from bracers, to boots to corsets now. Works great!

William

yeah i had tough of that kind of idea ... and i searched .. i found something about a ''duct tape double'' ... im planning making one for myself and for my girlfriend .. ... i think its a good idea as i will probably be my best customer ... and my girlfriend too ... maybe not the customer that payout the most lol but .. neway haha

anyone have good sources for the 'duct tape double'' ... lol a free source if its possible?

I don't have the link, but I have seen a 'duct tape double' website before. They used the method like in the previous link and made a duct tape cast of themselves, made it nice and smooth and then cut it off.

They then taped it back together and used that as a double. I am not sure how accurate it is since that were using the outside of the duct tape cast as their double. But they said it worked.

I will post the site if I can find it again.

William

thx :)

Why not make it easy for you? Go out and get yourself a pattern, around $6-9 it's well worth it and all the info about how to make it in there. Here's a link for you, many of the patterns can be purchased as a "Download" online:

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/

McCalls 3609mcc

Butterick 4254but

Simplycity 7215SIM

thx everyone :) damn ... i got myself in trouble by accepting her request ... damn love .. make us do weird thing ;) neway ... i started from the little link twofour878 posted ... (custom corset pattern generator) ...

here is my results (two piece of fabric ..) is it supposed to looks like this ?

It is if you want an Elizabethan corset. I'm guessing that she wants something sexy and curvy -- an Elizabethan corset will NOT give you that silhouette. An Elizabethan silhouette is more of a cone than an hourglass. You want a pattern from a site like CorsetMaking.com or FarthingalesLA. Stay away from anything labeled Georgian, Elizabethan, or Regency.

I don't have the link, but I have seen a 'duct tape double' website before. They used the method like in the previous link and made a duct tape cast of themselves, made it nice and smooth and then cut it off.

They then taped it back together and used that as a double. I am not sure how accurate it is since that were using the outside of the duct tape cast as their double. But they said it worked.

I will post the site if I can find it again.

William

Well, every garment needs a little ease (room between the garment and the body), and duct tape just isn't that thick. If a duct tape double (DTD) is done right and reassembled properly, there's no reason why it shouldn't be accurate enough.

thx for the advice tashabear ill keep it in mind .... (corset shape)

http://www.foundationsrevealed.com/index-of-articles/corsetry/fabricsmaterials/303-leather-corset-making

This is an in depth breakdown of how making corsets in leather can pose different problems than traditional mediums. Also, do take the time to draft your own patterns. Paying 6-8$ for a pattern will yield a pattern designed for the "standard" body and numbers which will guarantee some form of pain. If your making all the effort to make a corset then why not? (Info available on the website the link will take you to) if you were ever in awe of how those "ecperienced" tight lacers got so tiny they did NOT suffer through the pain of an ill fitting corset. I made my own fitted just to me and was able to get a reduction of 6 inches right away and my numbers are 36 inch bust 26 inch waist and 40 inch at the hips BEFORE lacing. Regular corsets don't reduce my waist at all because I already shaped that way. If you do it yourself there will be no pain and you'll be very proud of it. Even if you make mistakes the shape of the corset will be noticeably unique and people will see right off the bat that it isn't a store bought throw away.