George B

Do I Need A Name Change?

Hi All, looking for advice on changing the name of my custom western saddle business. As of now it is "Popping Rock Saddlery" and I find the name hard to remember and difficult to get across to customers I talk to. Here's the dilema...

I live in a little town named Dover, Tennessee. I would like to rename my shop "Dover TN. Saddlery" or "Dover TN. Saddles" but I do not want potential customers to think I am Dover English saddles or a dealer. But, it would be much easier for customers to remember and gives a clear impression of where I am located.

Any input or opinion would be welcome.

Hi All, looking for advice on changing the name of my custom western saddle business. As of now it is "Popping Rock Saddlery" and I find the name hard to remember and difficult to get across to customers I talk to. Here's the dilema...

I live in a little town named Dover, Tennessee. I would like to rename my shop "Dover TN. Saddlery" or "Dover TN. Saddles" but I do not want potential customers to think I am Dover English saddles or a dealer. But, it would be much easier for customers to remember and gives a clear impression of where I am located.

The justifications make sense George. I think you'd be fine on the Dover part since you're including the TN in the name. Have you also considered Dover Tenn. Saddlery? Could lead to a nifty play in words for possible logo designs later on.

I like that! Could make a good logo as well. Thanks

I like that! Could make a good logo as well. Thanks

My pleasure, have fun with it!

A lot of saddleries are named just with the maker's name - Joe Blow Saddlery. That isn't common in a lot of other industries, but it is in the custom saddle world where you are the one actually building the saddles. That way if you end up moving, nothing changes. It is your name that gets the recognition too, and in Google world that can help in advertising. The disadvantage would be that when the time comes to sell the business the name pretty much has to change, but then the maker has changed too so that isn't surprising. On the other hand, if you are having employees build saddles for you, that may affect whether you want to use your name or not. I know some makers who have done that, but they generally have two stamps that are slightly different in wording so people can tell if they made the saddle or if it was just made under their direction. Just my two cents worth.

Is there a compelling reason to use Dover? My Google search for Tennessee Saddle Company (for instance) doesn't find anything. That allows for a level of geographic placement without tying it too closely to one spot. At the same time, it indicates you are saddle-maker and not a distributor. It's another way to look at it, in addition to the previously mentioned ways.

Hi George,

Dover immediately brings to mind a big supplier out of Dover Mass, just outside Boston. Tennessee Saddles sounds ok and someone Mentioned Tennessee Saddle Company. If you use that then you can also use TenSadCo or something like that as a trademark.

Art

Personally I think the new name would be worse to explain than the old. How are you going to say "Dover TN. Saddlery" over the phone? How do you say TN out loud? How do you type it into a search enging or a phone directory?

What is wrong with "Rock Saddlery"? It is easy and sounds tough.

Aaron

My first thoughts for Dover are Delaware., and the White Cliffs of Dover.

I would think that your name would be the best bet.

What I like to see on a business card is;

Company name

Person's name

Telephone number

website

Address

Description of work done, if it isn't part of the name. My old business was HP Machine, and Fabrication, so the name pretty well covered what we did, although some still thought we did automotive engine machining. So, we probably should have added milling, turning, welding,and grinding to the card. No website back then, so we used the yellow pages. Today though most folks go straight to the computer to search your company for information. You may find that a good website will bring you more business than cards will.

What I like about business cards are that they help me remember who I talked with at various events. I deal with a lot of artists now, and when they put some of their art on the card it helps me put the name with the style of work that they do. If there is a special thing that you do, or are known for, showcase it on the card. That should help others separate you from the other folks that they talk with when looking to make a purchase. It is nothing more than a mini billboard for your business. Forget the fluff, pack it with details. Leave the fluff for the website.

George B custom saddles

Specializing in handmade Western/English/Australian/0show/ whatever saddles.

Proudly made in the USA

George B owner/craftsman

(555) 555-5555

1234 Main St

Dover, TN 11225 Georgebcustomsaddles.com

Tenn Saddles

Yeah? No? Short, easy to say, sticks in your mind. It doesn't tie you down to any place but lets people know where those "World Famous Saddles" are being made!

It would work for me!

Bill

If it's worth anything I'll throw my opinion in the hat. I like Tennessee saddle company as stated earlier. It just sounds cool and rolls off the tounge easy.

Andy

I have no problem with Popping Rock Saddlery. I know it's ignorant, but if you say Tennesee and saddles, I'm thinking of Trooper saddles and dog trials or plantation saddles, not that there's anything wrong with either one. Of course, I would never connect Ohio and Quarter horses either.

Kevin

I think of the pop rocks candy i used to get.

I think of Dover the English saddle company right off the bat.