Elaye77

Sealing A Motorcycle Seat

Hi there, I am about to start tooling my first motorcycle seat for a friend. I am nervous because he bought the seat kit and I do not want to mess it up. I am going to use acrylic paint on the design and either dye the background or use an antiquing gel to give it a natural worn look. My friend does not want a high gloss sealer. I have heard of Resolene. I would like to know if this is the best choice for a low to no gloss sealer. Also, will it ruin the acrylic paint? Should I use another product before or after painting to protect the acrylic paint? I usually use the Atom Wax when I seal my belts but notice that dye will rub off on my pants and definitely do not want that to happen since he will sitting on it. Any advice would be appreciated, I have looked at some other postings on here but really want the best advice and want to impress him because this could mean future projects for me.

Thanks!

Edited by Elaye77

I can't help but you might try a post in Motorcycle or Dying forum you should get a good answer there.

Hello Elay77, I use resolene cut 50/50 with water. Then I use neutral boot wax over it. I've only made 15 solo seats so my experience is limited, but I haven't had any complaints yet... fingers crossed For the natural worn look I use 0000 steel wool. Again limited exerience but thats the best medium I have found to distress leather. Hope that helps

to avoid the rewetting and smearing the dye. I air brush the resolene on

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it and will probably try all suggestions on some scrap first. I do have an airbrush and will totally give that a shot!

I use denatured alcohol for air brush clean up,

and let the a.brush soak in it between coats = no clog

I use denatured alcohol for air brush clean up,

and let the a.brush soak in it between coats = no clog

That is good to know! Thanks!