Sign in to follow this  
Clay

afflicted with leather workers block?

has any one ever been aflicted with leather workers block? I have been trying to draw a simple three flower pattern for a 4 and 1/4 inch by 8 inch day planner. I have drafted several different attempts and they are all looking the same and they are awful. I cant seem to get the right pattern going and it is making me go nuts. Have any of you all ever had this problem and if so what did you do? I am loosing my one day a week to work on stuff!!!!

Clay M. :ranting2:

Hello Clay

Its one of those things that the harder you try the worse it gets and then you try harder and..............!!!!!

I had a little idea given to me in conversation some years back and have used it with pretty good success. Its not guarenteed but it does help break the block and aid with the visual aspects.

I have cut several circles ( from heavy brown paper) of different diameters (several of each size) that will correspond to my pattern area that I am working on. Placing these on the actual surface in different formations might help you get over the speed bump.

The brown paper works best for me as it is a less contrasting color and does not distract my thought patterns as easily as white or colored poster board.

I use tap offs rather than draw a seperate pattern and once I establish my direction I will draw the pattern directly on the leather.

If its a common size then I will make a tap off for the complete pattern so I don't have to think again. This really helps when doing Day Planners, Albums, Etc.

I hope this helps in some way. In the words of some obscure past president " I feel your pain."

Kind Regards

Blake

Hi Clay

As an after thought, I looked at some of my patterns .So just as suggestions, You might try a variety of sizes, One large and two small circles or two large with a small containing a bud or opening version.

Maybe a large in the middle with a small at the top toward the rear and a small at the bottom towards the front. That will work if you make the center perpetual and give it a diagonal appearence.

Sometimes I get hung up on making something too symetrical when it just won't happen.

If it gets a little tight within the confines of the tooling area then let it slip under or over the border and show a little on the outside.

Kind Regards

Blake

Blake

Blake

Thanks for the helpful tips. I apreciate it. My wife told me to walk away for a little wile and think about something else. I played with my kids for a bit then went back and tried it again. I have a draft now that I can clean up and I think it will work.

I will post a scan of it.

Thanks again.

Clay M.

Here is the scan of the pattern. It still needs to be cleaned up and inked.

Clay

jse_dayplanner.jpg

post-255-1194223199_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me Clay.

I'll mention a couple ideas too. It's the same as your wife's. And you can't replace playing with your kids so if leather work has to take a back seat,well.

Anyway, walking away is something some of us have a hard time doing when it's the smart thing to do.

#1 when in the middle of a project things start getting tense it's not always wise to try and work through it or you wind up with a heap of scrap leather. You have to know the difference between being on a role from getting roled over.

#2 when you get near the end of a project, don't stay too long nit picking. Step away and ask yourself if the nit you're picking is something the average viewer will notice. Better yet, ask you wife to look at it. Ask her, " what if I do this or do that?", she'll usually say,"looks good to me honey", or "well how about you do this, then stop?"

The best seats I've put in saddles have been the ones my wife helped me fine tune.

#3 as to drafting pats, I've done a version of what Blake mentioned, in my case, even if I have something that needs to be a specific size, I decided that if I start my draft either smaller or larger I by bass the need to work in the details that can come together later. Those darn details get in the way sometimes.

I also found that I can use a dry erase board with a broad tip pen for general shapes for vines and brabches and a fine tip later for general details.

The old addage works,"sleep on it". You'll find yourself dreaming about a project and an idea will wake you up and you jump out of bed looking for something to draw with and your wife thinks the house is on fire.

Good luck. G. Hackett

I think your wife hit it on the head. I go through that sometimes, and walking away works for me.