Some people won't have the issues I have as their shop is large enough (if there is such a thing) to manage many tables and cubbies or sorts to store their hides.

Others may not have this issue because they buy what they need as they need it.

I, however, have major issues. I feel like I may have a successful solution to parts of my storage needs, but other parts not so much. Besides, I am always willing to grow and add to what I already have for safety, security, and such.

As an Alaskan, I have limited resources for leather. If I need something, there is Tandy. Tandy is fine and dandy except, well, when it is not. I am convinced they send their crap offerings to the Last Frontier, but maybe some entire batches look that way. Recently I went in to buy some middle of the line leather to find not one single usable hide. Not one. I complained. They said they would forward my complaint. Nothing else has come of it. I am not a fan of thank you for complaining kudos so whatever.

That being said, some very nice hides come from Tandy and when they do, you better bet I buy every single one. Recently I purchased a couple dozen hair on cowhides they had on sale. I took all but three of what was considered quality. Those three remain so I don't feel guilty for leaving so few for others.

From there, I find shipping to be atrocious when ordering from outside, therefore I must buy in bulk to reduce the overall cost. Shipping one hide of this and one hide of that is not worth what I have to recover in shipping alone. So again, I end up with many hides. Many more than I can use quickly.

I currently work out of my home where I am overrun with leather. I have my art studio which has turned into veg tan heaven. I roll it in paper and lay it on padded metal shelves careful that metal doesn't touch or even come near my leather. I cover the entire shelf with paper and sheets.

Then I have a room that was an exercise room. The walls are lined with heavy duty braided wire where I am hanging my hair on cowhides. It works, but it's a big difficult to work with for a short gal.

I am draping my sheepskin and goats and such over 1/2 inch dowels that are suspended from rope and layered for easy access. This leaves my oiled hides.

What is the best way to deal with these? I also have my upholstery hides. Any suggestions?

I'd love to see some studio pics of other leather crafter's spaces. The more the merrier. Someday I may leave this Alaska behind just to make my leather habit easier to acquire and store in a larger building. Right now, I have to work in the small space, albeit larger than most, so very much appreciate that and count my blessings.

Please advise where you can. I truly appreciate all the kindness and knowledge found within this group. You are the best.

Since you roll them up, what about something like this: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2589852269362772400?q=flat+storage&es_sm=122&biw=1024&bih=677&ei=dHkkVMCDLoSuyQTWp4HIDg&ved=0CNEBEKkrMAQ It would take up less space than actual shelves and would probably be easy enough to build out of wood and dowels. You could even angle the rods slightly up so the leather wouldn't just roll off. The only other thing I can think of is using large flat pull out drawers like you see used for large pieces of artwork, like these: http://csufresnovintagecollection.blog.com/files/2011/01/Waiting-Drawers.jpg

Only other thing I can think of is to get a big flat box and store them under your bed. ;)

If you have half an hour to spare, it can be quite interesting & fun to browse images on pinterest.com - don't ask me what its purpose is or how it works, I just know it has interesting collections of related images of crafty/leather things and workshops, among other things. I saw one image of a guy with racks of leather folded over dowels - unfortunately I cannot find it now :(.

Here is the sort of image that catches my attention - then I often end up following links off the page that interest me: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/294211788127828858/

Here is another: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479703797779892404/

Your mileage may vary. (I'd post a picture of my storage system but my leather is all in a big cardboard box in my garage currently - so not very interesting :))

Edited by Tannin

I roll all my leather on pvc pipe. Works great

I currently use the long boxes, stacked on shelving that is chromed, that the leather arrives in. Also have used some round tubes in the past. Had some large pvc pipe of 6" dia. and was going to make a permanent rack for my leather but when I checked the price of pvc , it became a no go for me. I am now researching concrete form tubes that I have been told is reasonably priced at some locations. Have not located those locations to date.

I do make an attempt to keep the leather away from light sources to prevent discoloration from same. I will add that the boxes I use from the shippers has never presented a problem for me. I just close them and mark the outside with the contents of each and makes it easier to locate what I need,

Like many folks, I have an excessive amount of leather, tools and supplies that I will never be able to use.

Hope you find a solution for your storage situation soon.

God Bless.

Ray

Boy, do I have leather and other supplies I probably will never be able to use. I am going on eighty two years young now but the "young" is slowly but surely slipping away. lol

I have a large closet with shelves in my leather room. To say they are crammed full is a gross understatement.

That said: I try to never allow sunlight to reach the hides. I roll all of them in brown paper. I never store them on anything but solid shelving. Dowels tend to make nasty impressions in expensive leather. I separate according to type and thickness as much as possible. I need to take everything out of the closet and re-file. I bought several hides of kid skin recently and found I didn't have a good place for them.

The closet is in a room with central air in summer and central heat in winter. I usually roll the hides so the finish side is up. When I open the end of the brown paper I can see what leather, thickness, and color without exposing much of the roll. Makes for easier checking.

I have all hardware items in plastic cases that have latches and are clear enough I can see what is in them. Sewing machine needles and bobbins along with at least twenty rolls of thread and zippers are in plastic storage containers resting beside each machine. Shelves on one wall to hold my many books on leather, history and working with same. I have several of my cutting knives at my "Cutting and Layout table" as well as leather scissors and thread kippers at each machine. Oh yes, A small metal oil can at each machine also, containing white oil of course. Also have my carving/working table with 2" marble insert and all my carving and stamping tools etc. along the same wall as my bookshelves. My overhead lighting is Fluorescent color corrected, with many accessory lights on the machinery.

I do not spend near as much time in the leather shop as I would like. We have a family business that pays the bills and that definitely comes first. I have always liked to experiment with different items and push the envelope.

Leather Art/Crafting is a fascinating and relaxing endeavor for me.

ferg

I currently use the long boxes, stacked on shelving that is chromed, that the leather arrives in. Also have used some round tubes in the past. Had some large pvc pipe of 6" dia. and was going to make a permanent rack for my leather but when I checked the price of pvc , it became a no go for me. I am now researching concrete form tubes that I have been told is reasonably priced at some locations. Have not located those locations to date.

I do make an attempt to keep the leather away from light sources to prevent discoloration from same. I will add that the boxes I use from the shippers has never presented a problem for me. I just close them and mark the outside with the contents of each and makes it easier to locate what I need,

Like many folks, I have an excessive amount of leather, tools and supplies that I will never be able to use.

Hope you find a solution for your storage situation soon.

God Bless.

Ray

Don't use those cardboard concrete forms as the cardboard sucks moisture from the leather

If I had a decent place to hang them from the ceiling I would. Small hole(s) in the leather and plant hooks in a board attached to studs. What I ended up doing to reclaim my living room was take a couple of 1x6 boards and drilled 5/8" holes for dowels. This created a stand that handles the larger pieces and working pieces pretty reasonably. I am worried about being careful not to scuff or scratch the leather with the rod ends. I guess I could round them. I tossed it together yesterday, so I can't vouch for it quite yet, but it sounds reasonable.

I use pallet racking. Relatively cheap and you can get a heap of leather on the 8ft x 4ft shelves.

Ray

post-6314-0-64519200-1437146979_thumb.jp

I use pallet racking. Relatively cheap and you can get a heap of leather on the 8ft x 4ft shelves.

Ray

I've seen tons of pallet racking at auctions lately. Now i'm kicking myself for not picking up a couple sections. It sells cheap because no one wants it so it usually goes to the scrappers.

We got our idea from another leather worker on facebook. Of course, he has about three of these walls, and more densely packed.post-38542-0-33376200-1437358360_thumb.j

All of these ideas have merit, Congratulations Guys,

I'm still in a contemplating mode.

Considering a more spacious building myself lately too ?

I'm so ready to get away from this small homemade desk.

What other appointments are worthy of my contemplating ? Time will tell.

This article got my spirits up ! Thanks to all of you ! ----- Wild Bill46