Sign in to follow this  
Camerius

Head To The Wall

I have reached a point in my leatherworking, where I don't know how to move forward. It's not so much a matter of what projects to choose that is my barrier, but more of how to get my projects to look better and me getting better too. I have asked some of the professionals in my area, if they take on apprentices so I could get a better and more professional for crafting, and learn from someone way more skilled instead of stumbling my way forward as I do now. Unfortunately, they have all turned me down from various reasons (too busy, not enough work, me being too old at being 46), which leaves me back at square one and to stumble forward. I have too looked into a formal crafting education within leather, except that everything in the lines of leatherworker, saddlemaker, harnessmaker and cobbler have been discontinued here, meaning I would have to go to either England or Sweden to become a saddle or harness master.

So, how do you deal with the wall and get over it, if or when you have met it to go?

Thanks for the input.

Few options:

There are likely to be some saddle making schools nearby if you have the cash.

Saddle making books and dvds are available too

Find a saddle maker who is near retirement and looking to pass down his knowledge.

Be persistent to those who say they think your not young enough to work, so they know you really mean it when you say you want to be a saddle maker.

There are other options like shoe making, bags ect.

Edited by DavidL

Stelmackr where you the person from a post nearly a year ago who had a copy of the leather working manual from The leather connection?

I been trying to contact the owner of the site about information on the books and haven't heard back. Do you know if he's still selling his books?

Edited by DavidL

You said: "Stelmackr were you the person from a post nearly a year ago who had a copy of the leather working manual from The leather connection?"

YES

You said: "I been trying to contact the owner of the site about information on the books and haven't heard back. Do you know if he's still selling his books?"

I purchased around 2005 when I lived in England. I have not contacted Francis since then. He mentioned several times that he was in failing health. If you would like I could sell you my copy. Just PM me and I could give you details.

Bob Stelmack

Thanks for the help out. I have been in contact with more than a few saddle makers/harness makers besides some leatherworkers here in Denmark, and unfortunately with the same result to all of them, in them not being interested. I too would like to go to Sweden, Germany or the UK, but as I mentioned I can not afford the education there (besides living and housing), so that is out of the picture.

Too, a big thank you for the list, stelmackr. There's some really good stuff in it, that I can use.

Edited by Camerius