Sign in to follow this  
Billmc

Holster For My Springfield 1911

This was my first attempt at a molded leather holster. I was encouraged by the other great post on this site – thank to all! I used some scrap pieces so there are a few scars. I used a vacuum press to mold the top half. I am a newbie at this and was surprised that the actual labor was only about an hour. I have a few Ruger Blackhawks that I will be making templates for and will post what I come up with. I would be more than happy to leverage anyone else's templates if you already have made them.

post-21851-067106900 1306103710_thumb.jp

post-21851-028008900 1306103737_thumb.jp

Edited by Billmc

Nice clean design! I would rather see the holster cover the trigger. Your stitching is great, and a pretty finish.

Nice clean design! I would rather see the holster cover the trigger. Your stitching is great, and a pretty finish.

Thanks. I agree with you on the trigger cover after the fact. I just got the bug to do it this morning and did this one to go through the process for the first time. I made many notes on things to do next time.

Hey. You don't need templates or pattern. Hidecrafter, George Hurst has videos that explain the pattern making process. Then just get pictures of nice looking holsters and make your own pattern for each gun you want!

It really is that simple, if you have access to the gun, that is.

Hey. You don't need templates or pattern. Hidecrafter, George Hurst has videos that explain the pattern making process. Then just get pictures of nice looking holsters and make your own pattern for each gun you want!

It really is that simple, if you have access to the gun, that is.

Thanks, I will check out George Hurst's approach.

I would be more than happy to leverage anyone else's templates if you already have made them.

Here's a photo of a template for an Avenger design for a 4" 1911 you could tinker with.

179456_501912834485_510159485_5884910_6933460_n.jpg

Thanks Big O. Do you have a pic of one you have made? I am still trying to get a good feel for what makes a good holster. I am learning more about what makes a bad holster.