Vinkimus

leather hardening-shaping and which tool was used here

Hi to all!

Could anyone help me out around these 4 questions?

1)How do I make a corner like this one?I mean without having to cut the leather piece in the middle and sew it which gives another outcome.

99centtaco_case.jpg

2)How can someone harden leather?I know one way is to boil it but what do you do if it is a large piece?Are there any other ways?

3)How do you make it stay in a particular shape?For example I've seen here some recreations of ancient greek body armors and the 2 pieces (chest and back) seem to have been made to keep a certain shape that enfolds the body.Is this in the same proccess with hardening or is it a different one and how is that accomplished?

4)Jordan made a nice gaming board ( :spoton: ).What tool did he use to do the straight lines between the squares?jordans_game_board.JPG

post-9658-1236707488_thumb.jpg

post-9658-1236708789_thumb.jpg

Hi to all!

Could anyone help me out around these 4 questions?

1)How do I make a corner like this one?I mean without having to cut the leather piece in the middle and sew it which gives another outcome.

99centtaco_case.jpg

2)How can someone harden leather?I know one way is to boil it but what do you do if it is a large piece?Are there any other ways?

3)How do you make it stay in a particular shape?For example I've seen here some recreations of ancient greek body armors and the 2 pieces (chest and back) seem to have been made to keep a certain shape that enfolds the body.Is this in the same proccess with hardening or is it a different one and how is that accomplished?

4)Jordan made a nice gaming board ( :spoton: ).What tool did he use to do the straight lines between the squares?jordans_game_board.JPG

Stohlman's books on making leather cases will show you how to make the case in your picture.

Basically, it's just soaking the leather in water until it is pliable enough to shape. Then, you form it around a wood block.

As for hardening leather, I've used a hair dryer on cased leather. Works well for knife sheaths. But, you have to take care not to over heat it. If it's too hot for your hand, it's too hot for the leather.

Leather armor is a specialty of the SCA. Check out some of their sites. There are dozens of "recipes" for making shaped armor.

Hedge

1) Shaping around a block or form is the only way to get a nice shape like that.

2) You can heat the leather in hot water, but NEVER boil it! There's a bit more to the directions if you want to know. Just send me a PM for more details.

You can also brush on hot beeswax. That will seal the leather, harden it, and make it hold a shape. It just can't get to hot after it's formed or else it looses all shape and will 'leak' wax onto what ever surface it's on. So no leaving it on the car's dashboard in the summer! ;)

3) Yeah, same principle as hardening. When making armor though, I would not recommend wax hardening, though a good coat of wax makes for a nice seal and shine.

4) Probably tooled them using a straight edge or ruler as a guide.

You can harden leather using shellac on the "backside".

You can harden leather using shellac on the "backside".

thanks for the advice guys!What is shellac?

Can someone also tell me about the lines because I have ordered the tools and I if it is one I didn't include I want to inform the supplier to send it along with the other stuff before he ships them!

Can someone also tell me about the lines because I have ordered the tools and I if it is one I didn't include I want to inform the supplier to send it along with the other stuff before he ships them!

i personally would use a swivel knife and a straight edge(basic ruler).

draw out the lines where you want them with pencil lightly and while leather is dry.

after the lines are where you want them case the leather and use the ruler as a guide and run the swivel knife alongside the ruler on the pencil lines. this way you can keep the lines straight.

this is the way i would do it.

Hardening leather is discussed fairly thoroughly on armourarchive.org, but the common methods seem to be submersion in water at a temperature of about 180 degrees, soaking and then heating in your oven, or shaping then submersion in some kind of hardener such as acrylic floor polish. All three are described in more detail at the archive.

-Link

Take a look at http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...amp;#entry76119

I used what they call a ball end stylus and heavy hand pressure on wet (cased) leather and a metal ruler as a guide. Then I highlighted the lines with a dark color sharpie ink pen after it was dry.

Edited by Jordan

Ok jordan, thanks for the tip!I like the board very much-simple and elegant! sharpie=?

I'll look into the leather hardening suggestions mates!

Sharpie.....Brand name for an indelible ink pen, available in fine point and many colors including some metallics and they work very well with leather.

Ok this is a pretty easy one first off, Dont and I repeat dont over wet your leather get it just wet but dont turn it in to a spounge.

second thicknes of your leather will effect the out come as well but there is a trick for those tight bends, once you have it on a mold and wet start to form it and if you get bunches cut the leather in several spots 1 inch away from your finish edge like a pie this lets your leather form better, if you want I can post pics.

Hope this helps

josh

Edited by jbird

This is a pic of a mold I made for zippo lighter cases out of a piece of mdf I had laying around. And a little bit of how I used it. By the way there is a father son sandal shop in Athens that apparently is very well known. I do not remember the name but would you happen to know of them or if they offer any patterns or how to tutorials on sandal making?

Zippo_Case_Build003.JPG

Zippo_Case_Build011.JPG

Zippo_Case_Build010.JPG

Zippo_Case_Build025.JPG

post-4868-1236748244_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1236748275_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1236748297_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1236748369_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

You should find it where paint and lackeur is sold.

Edited by oldtimer

This is a pic of a mold I made for zippo lighter cases out of a piece of mdf I had laying around. And a little bit of how I used it. By the way there is a father son sandal shop in Athens that apparently is very well known. I do not remember the name but would you happen to know of them or if they offer any patterns or how to tutorials on sandal making?

Yes,I think you are talking about "melissinos",it's the most famous sandal shop,in the center of athens,and has past from grandfather to son and grandson so that must be it.Well when I was making a pair of sandals for my gf I went there to ask for a small advice,nothing that would be like "secret of the craft" something simple,and he refused to tell me anything in the worst manner.So imagine what will happen if someone would ask for patterns!

I can tell you 2 things though jordan,first I took a look at your sandals(I don't remember the topic but you had fotos of the sandal bottom with the strap holes ready) and they look just the same with one of his patterns so I think they're gonna be fine when the straps are at their place!Second if you visit his site(google it) he has all his design's in pictures,it's gonna be peace of cake for you to figure out how they are made!(He massively produces them though,he is more fame and less craft if you ask me.His grandfather was the real thing).Hope this helps!

The fotos of the zippo case help a lot,thanks!

jbird if you have pics post them please because I'm having a hard time to understand what you are describing(I'm not a native speaker as you will have noticed by now!)Thanks a lot!

Very helpful tips.Thanks. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Yes that was them, I see their sandals are pretty simple, Agree I think fame plays a big part as they say Jackie O, John Lennon, The ever astonishing Sophia Loren etc are past customers.