sodapop

yup another new guy on the block

hey ya'll :wave: ...been lurkin around here for a couple of weeks and figure its time to say my bit...

i've been takin some leatherworkin lessons from a saddlemaker here in minnesota...i'm not gonna

be doin saddles but working k9 collars and custom ones to start off with (i know it probably sounds

lame compared to what others are doin) but its something i have experience with and figured its a

proper place to start for my foundation in leatherworking...and then who knows what i will fall into...

right now i'm pretty much in limbo land...until my stitcher and tools all make there way here...

which kinda sorta bites...cuz when i look at everyones work on here...i get to itchin and want

to do somethin!!...but i just gotta be patient and wait :ranting2: hehe

this is a great site and a helluva find!!...it'll definately give my learning curve a huge nitro boooooost!!

cheers everyone :cheers:

darryl

Welcome to the Block sodapop!

Be careful of the donuts throwers...lol

You do realize there are people who would kill to be in your position to train with a saddlemaker.....?

Welcome to the forum, sodapop!

You're lucky to have someone to help you out with hands on experience. You'll have to display some of

your work. :)

Welcome to the forum Darryl! :wave:

Lucky guy, getting hands on learning with a pro. You be sure to show us your work!

Welcome sodapop

you'll meet a whole bunch of really friendy and helpful people here:-)

Hey Sodapop!

Shout to another dog collar maker!! I'm really new at leather working too...but how lucky you are to be training with a saddle maker! So looking at your photo, are you doing collars specifically for K-9 police dogs? Do you work with the dogs, yourself?

Welcome!!

-Emily

Hey Sodapop!

Shout to another dog collar maker!! I'm really new at leather working too...but how lucky you are to be training with a saddle maker! So looking at your photo, are you doing collars specifically for K-9 police dogs? Do you work with the dogs, yourself?

Welcome!!

-Emily

hey Emily!!...the working collars will be for areas like personal protection, psa and schutzhund(<---venue most police k9 train in)...then i'll also be making custom ones primarily for the big boys & girls ;0)

i started doing personal protection training around 96' with a couple of my dogs and follow any and all things related to working dogs...from hoghunting with dogs to the manwork venues...but no i don't train dogs for the bitework myself...i've always been on the lead end...not the teeth end hehe...just have a fair bit of knowledge in those areas...

thanks all!! for the warm welcome :thumbsup:

Edited by sodapop

Welcome to the forum sodapop I could do with some training myself(wolf joke) so I have been told lol good luck with the K9 leathercraft there is a big demand for this type of thing in England as the folk are fed up with the rubbish being sold in the Petshops and I always get asked if I can make something cool for the doggy..

Rockywolf

Hello and welcome Sodapop!

I'd like to get into dogcollars someday too, mainly 'cuz I developed allergi when I was about 25. I was born and raised with dogs so it'd be fun to make something nice for them since I can't be in the same room anymore.

Looking forward to see your stuff come together. A stress test to find out what force breaks your collar might be something to consider considering the force of those dogs.

My old Irish wolfhound broke everything we could find in storeshelfs. Ended up using a sturdy rope for him (selftightening snaretype)

Tom

hey welcome, god I know that feeling waiting for tools to arrive....

Welcome to the forum Sodapop, great to have you here. Hope to see some pics soon of your work.

Ken

Hi Darryl welcome to the forum, glad you like it here, Don

hey Emily!!...the working collars will be for areas like personal protection, psa and schutzhund(<---venue most police k9 train in)...then i'll also be making custom ones primarily for the big boys & girls ;0)

i started doing personal protection training around 96' with a couple of my dogs and follow any and all things related to working dogs...from hoghunting with dogs to the manwork venues...but no i don't train dogs for the bitework myself...i've always been on the lead end...not the teeth end hehe...just have a fair bit of knowledge in those areas...

thanks all!! for the warm welcome :thumbsup:

Very cool! We could use more training at our house (I write as my vizsla does psycho laps around our living room couch)!! I can't wait to see some of your big dog collars...those are what I'm mostly interested in making too.

Edited by Emily

Very cool! We could use more training at our house (I write as my vizsla does psycho laps around our living room couch)!! I can't wait to see some of your big dog collars...those are what I'm mostly interested in making too.

thanks emily!! our family had a vizsla when i was knee high to a grasshopper =) ya i realize that theres alot of folks doing collars and pretty much about anything and everything we can think of...regardless what we choose to do in the craft...my philosophy is...regardless of what one decides to make...if it is a quality item/made well...it will always be marketable...and the other thing thats on our side is that??...theres alot of dogs in the world :thumbsup:

then ya never know where the leatherworkin will all lead...i haven't even really started and a buddy of mine thats a real avid hunter wants some custom gun slings made for'em...i thought that was cool =0)

i definately will post up when i get to that point...but you'll will have to have patience...cuz i'm as green as grass right now and be a bit before i'll have one completed...hell!! it'll be a bit before all my tools get here to even have a go at it :whistle:

emily by any chance are you the same emily that posts on the longwoods board??...just curious =)

:rockon:

darryl

breezesnowweb.jpg

breezeupweb2.jpg

p.s thanks rdb, hedge, myriam, tina, rockywolf, tom. pip, beaver & don for the greets!!

post-6168-1207251651_thumb.jpg

post-6168-1207254923_thumb.jpg

Edited by sodapop

thanks emily!! our family had a vizsla when i was knee high to a grasshopper =) ya i realize that theres alot of folks doing collars and pretty much about anything and everything we can think of...regardless what we choose to do in the craft...my philosophy is...regardless of what one decides to make...if it is a quality item/made well...it will always be marketable...and the other thing thats on our side is that??...theres alot of dogs in the world :thumbsup:

then ya never know where the leatherworkin will all lead...i haven't even really started and a buddy of mine thats a real avid hunter wants some custom gun slings made for'em...i thought that was cool =0)

i definately will post up when i get to that point...but you'll will have to have patience...cuz i'm as green as grass right now and be a bit before i'll have one completed...hell!! it'll be a bit before all my tools get here to even have a go at it :whistle:

emily by any chance are you the same emily that posts on the longwoods board??...just curious =)

:rockon:

darryl

breezesnowweb.jpg

breezeupweb2.jpg

p.s thanks rdb, hedge, myriam, tina, rockywolf, tom. pip, beaver & don for the greets!!

I'm totally going for the same approach...I want to make quality collars that will last (and stand up to big dogs)!

Well I hope when you get your tools, you have a pretty easy time with your first pieces...it's taking me forever to make mine, I'm working out so many kinks (but hopefully this forum will help that, so far everyone's advice has helped a lot).

oh....and nope, never heard of the longwoods board

(beautiful dog pic!)

welcome to the board. is that a neo in the pixs? i can tell you from experience that the agitation equipment market is very difficult to break in to. but many big dog owners have a hard time finding pretty things for their oversized babies. good luck!

tracy

monster farm specialties custom braiding

dog and horse tack

welcome to the board. is that a neo in the pixs? i can tell you from experience that the agitation equipment market is very difficult to break in to. but many big dog owners have a hard time finding pretty things for their oversized babies. good luck!

tracy

monster farm specialties custom braiding

dog and horse tack

tracy your are correct on the breed ;) ...and i totally agree with you about the agitation gear etc...something i do realize...but they will be just one line that i'll offer along with the custom ones...i figure if you don't offer'em ya can't sell'em...& for sure the working dog folks can be a damn tough crowd to make a name for yourself hehe...i plan on the custom ones being the main sellers and my primary focus...as people do like to show off their big'uns with an impressive leather collar around their neck...

thanks tracy...regards,

darryl