I am altering a 1904 McClellan Saddle to be an 1859 McClellan saddle. The 1904 has a leather covered rawhide seat, the 1859 has an exposed rawhide seat. I have taken the leather off. What do I treat the tree with to protect the rawhide from the elements? I have another Reproduction 1859 and it has a clear coat on it, looks almost like polyurethane. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Steve

I am altering a 1904 McClellan Saddle to be an 1859 McClellan saddle. The 1904 has a leather covered rawhide seat, the 1859 has an exposed rawhide seat. I have taken the leather off. What do I treat the tree with to protect the rawhide from the elements? I have another Reproduction 1859 and it has a clear coat on it, looks almost like polyurethane. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Steve

I toured through timberline tree factory a few years ago, and Randy said they use a polyurethane to final coat the tree. I have used it to retreat a place where I have sanded or otherwise scratched up the finish on rawhide trees. 2 or 3 coats should keep the moisture out good. Hope this helps,

Skinner