wizard of tragacanth

My Third Holster... Finally Starting To Get It...

This is my third attempt at a holster. I'm not there yet but I am starting to *get* it... thanks to all of the great people on this forum!

I still didn't leave quite enough room for a *full* firing grip and I thought that I had. It is just a smidge tight but this is not acceptable. Next time I will make absolutely certain that I do this correctly.

On the double stitching that you see going the length of the gun, those were not planned. The outside lines were the initial rows. Later, I re-molded the holster, for a closer fit, and did the inside lines.

I have never used a slotted style holster before and I am not sure that I like them. It is a pain to put it on and take it off. However, once it's on, it isn't going anywhere and it does snug up well to the body.

I'm not sure which design to try next. I was going to try an Avenger but after wearing this holster for a few days, I think I want something that does not need to be threaded on the belt.

Nick

post-23755-080955300 1319732224_thumb.jp

Looks very nice.. really really..

You could actually do the same design with a modification so there are straps with snaps so you do not have to thread the belt, just slip the straps around the belt and snap it in place where you like the carry.

Belt Strap, Belt Snap and a few other names I've seen it called by...

Instead of cutting slots, you have the same ears, but you cut them down to around 1.25 inch and add a strap on each one with snaps. Very easy to take off and put on.

Thanks Reaper... that's a real compliment, and I appreciate it. Yeah, I think a snap attachment is more my style.

I had time to take some more pics. I know that when other people post pics of their new stuff, I always like to see the holster with a gun in it and one of the back, as well, so here they are.

Nick

post-23755-031424800 1319775097_thumb.jp

post-23755-016463000 1319775144_thumb.jp

This is my third attempt at a holster. I'm not there yet but I am starting to *get* it... thanks to all of the great people on this forum!

I still didn't leave quite enough room for a *full* firing grip and I thought that I had. It is just a smidge tight but this is not acceptable. Next time I will make absolutely certain that I do this correctly.

On the double stitching that you see going the length of the gun, those were not planned. The outside lines were the initial rows. Later, I re-molded the holster, for a closer fit, and did the inside lines.

I have never used a slotted style holster before and I am not sure that I like them. It is a pain to put it on and take it off. However, once it's on, it isn't going anywhere and it does snug up well to the body.

I'm not sure which design to try next. I was going to try an Avenger but after wearing this holster for a few days, I think I want something that does not need to be threaded on the belt.

Nick

OK Nick, you done pretty damned good. I'd like to see the shooter in it though. So you needed to add a line of stitching....OK ...... it doesn't detract in appearance, in fact some folks actually make 'em that way on purpose. I hear a lot of 'it's hard to get on', and 'hard to take off'. Well frankly IMHO, I don't really care if it takes a bit of time to put on or take off ..... as long as that sucker is solidly where it's supposed to be when I REALLY need it. The only time I have considered a full holster to be any sort of problem was waaaay back when, and one of those 'morning after the nite before' things, when one becomes VERY intent on getting to the 'facilities' in a real hurry. Mike

P.S. OK, I now see the gun in the holster, and yes, you need to cut it down some at the grip and to make sure you get the leather off of the mag release.

Edited by katsass

Katsass, thank you for your comments. The pic of the back is at a low angle. The leather does not push on the mag release but it still needs to trimmed down for finger room to achieve a full firing grip. I could trim down both the front and the back about 1/8" to 3/16" , right next to the trigger guard as a fix. It may be a week before I can get around to doing this but when I do, I will post some more pics on this thread.

Nick