entiendo

Romel Reins

So if I were to make a set of romel reins out of roo how many hides should I expect to use, for either an 8 plait or 12 plait with plenty of buttons. I guess I shouldn't ask about time because we all work at different paces but has anyone logged in the time it took to get a set done? Finally, what is usually used as a core? The thought of making a set of romel reins is a bit intimidating to me, particularly 12 plait, but maybe if I had these questions answered I could think about doing a pair.

Hey Entiendo,

Gail Hought's book on romal reins is very very good in that she gives examples of different buttton styles, different types of reins, and calculates the materials needed fairly accurately. If you were wanting to make a basic pair with buttons spaced apart it would take 400-450 ft of leather. A set of reins with full buttons (buttons all touching) would take over 500 ft of leather. I guess the number of hides would depend on how large and what colors you wanted to use.

For a core, she recommends and I think most people use Leather Belting. Its used on older sewing machines and it is basically a long piece of leather that has been cut round. Oregon Leather Co is supposed to sell it but I can never find it on their website (http://www.oregonleatherco.com/) and have yet to call them. If you buy some, check to make sure it is on a spool and not already cut into lengths for sewing machines because they add hooks to the ends and they may not be the right length for what you want to do. You should buy two different sizes of belting for your cores (one for the reins and one for the romal) and if you use the same size string, you can do 8 strand on the reins and 12 on the romal. For example, use 3/16" for the reins and 5/16" for the romal and you can do 8 on the reins and 12 on the romal with 1/8" strings.

If you are really wanting to make a pair I suggest buying Gail's book because she does a very nice job covering just about everything that goes into the project.

Hope that helps,

CW

Thanks! I have Gail's book (all of them actually) but I wanted a little more input. She's not always right on with lengths for me. 450', not nearly as much as I thought. Wonder how much I get out of a average size hide. I've actually never measured. I think I'm going to measure the next hide! Only I usually don't cute my string any wider than 3/32. Most people seem to like the smaller string, even in 4 plait.

I had a website for round core but I lost it. It was a good site too. I'll check yours out, Thanks again.

Thanks! I have Gail's book (all of them actually) but I wanted a little more input. She's not always right on with lengths for me. 450', not nearly as much as I thought. Wonder how much I get out of a average size hide. I've actually never measured. I think I'm going to measure the next hide! Only I usually don't cute my string any wider than 3/32. Most people seem to like the smaller string, even in 4 plait.

I had a website for round core but I lost it. It was a good site too. I'll check yours out, Thanks again.

I have a website saved somewhere that I got some belting from. I thought it was in my bookmarks, but it must be the bookmarks at home not work. I'll try to remember to get it for you tonight.

Mike

That would be great. Sometimes those kinds of things are difficult to find on line.

i just did a search for belting and google gave me www.universalsewing.com they have belting on spools in three sizes