benlilly1

Singer 29K 51

Looking a purchasing a Singer 29K 51. What are the pros and cons to this machine? What will it handle and assure me I'm not making a mistake.

Looking a purchasing a Singer 29K 51. What are the pros and cons to this machine? What will it handle and assure me I'm not making a mistake.

The Singer patchers are a perfect machine for sewing patches onto Biker's vests and jackets, especially onto sleeves. They are also good for repairing shoe uppers that have come unsewn with use. You can do all kinds of repairs and even install new zippers on a patcher.

You are pretty much limited to using #69 or #92 bonded thread. The bobbins are tiny. The feed is top only, via teeth under the presser foot. The maximum thickness it can sew is about 1/4 inch of soft to medium temper leather.

Thanks Wiscrafts, So sewing motorcycle seats is a no no? This is what I would use it for most. Can you suggest one for the thicker leathers at a reasonable price?

Thanks Wiscrafts, So sewing motorcycle seats is a no no? This is what I would use it for most. Can you suggest one for the thicker leathers at a reasonable price?

A walking foot machine, with triple feed. It cound be a flat bed model, but a cylinder arm allows you to sew circular portions over the end of the arm, in a natural curve.

I use my Cowboy CB4500 to sew seats. I change the thread to #138, top and bottom and use a #22 or #23 needle.