Nightshade

Trouble With Singer 29-K

I recently bought a Singer 29-4 for making quivers. It ran perfect until I had to rethread the bobbin and oiling.

The bobbin was threaded into the case and machine rethreaded following manual intructions. The problem now is the top thread tension is way too loose and I'm getting a knot of thread under the work. I've turned the tension adjustment as tight as it will go and theres no change at all. The thread pulls very easily through the machine regardless of how tight the tension is. The bobbin thread also pulls through easily.

Thanks...

That happened on mine the other day. I had to rethread and and recheck the bobbin threading. It turned out to be operator error :bawling: Try walking away for awhile and then go back through the whole thing and I'm sure it will come to you :thumbsup:

Paul

I recently bought a Singer 29-4 for making quivers. It ran perfect until I had to rethread the bobbin and oiling.

The bobbin was threaded into the case and machine rethreaded following manual intructions. The problem now is the top thread tension is way too loose and I'm getting a knot of thread under the work. I've turned the tension adjustment as tight as it will go and theres no change at all. The thread pulls very easily through the machine regardless of how tight the tension is. The bobbin thread also pulls through easily.

Thanks...

If you have the presser foot is up there will be no tension on your top thread. Put the foot down and try it again.

Edited by sinpac

Foot down and attempting to run some practice stitches...

That happened on mine the other day. I had to rethread and and recheck the bobbin threading. It turned out to be operator error :bawling: Try walking away for awhile and then go back through the whole thing and I'm sure it will come to you :thumbsup:

Paul

Yeah...thats a very large possibility and cant be ruled out. I'm still learning the machine.

When I threaded the bobbin case I ran the thread into the groove and under the tension spring and then through the hole in the case. But I did have some trouble a couple of time where the foot wouldnt go down after moving the lever for it into down position. Thats why I oiled it.

Edited by Nightshade

things to check are... make sure the bobbin is un-spooling in the correct direction (yes it makes a difference). Always make sure the presser foot is in the up position when you thread the machine. And make sure it is threaded correctly.... not what you think it was but what the manual says. LOL

From the pix in the manual it looks like the bobbin clockwise when you put it in the case(with the wide opening up).

The manual is very sparse with exact details...

From the pix in the manual it looks like the bobbin clockwise when you put it in the case(with the wide opening up).

The manual is very sparse with exact details...

post-25805-0-01598900-1357528629_thumb.j

post-25805-0-41449700-1357528644_thumb.j

post-25805-0-45413200-1357528658_thumb.j

Here's mine

post-25805-0-08161500-1357528906_thumb.j

Much prettier than mine...

Is there a service manual available that tells how to clean and adjust...well everything?

Edited by Nightshade

Did you get it worked out?

Walked away from it for the night before I got frustrated

Most of these require the bobbin while sitting in the case with the bobbin facing you to unspool counter clockwise (anti-clockwise). Meaning that when you draw the bobbin thread from the case, the bobbin will spin anti-clockwise

Here's a service manual for a 29u-XXXX Most of the information should work for you. (it also has a better picture of the bobbin going into the case

http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/29U171A_172A_173A.pdf

Here's a parts list that might help some too.

http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/29-4.pdf

Here's mine

Hey... why don't you send that to me. I love old heavy singers. ;)

Hey... why don't you send that to me. I love old heavy singers. ;)

The shipping would be a killer.

Chris

LOL yeah I know. You would have to just give it to me to make it worth it.

:)

Is there a service manual available that tells how to clean and adjust...well everything?

PM me your email and I will send you all the manuals I have for the 29 series machines.

Chris

@Chris...thank you

I wonder if the problem is that the arm that puts pressure on the tension disks from the foot. It hung up a couple times and the foot wouldnt go down. Maybe that arm got tweeked when it hung up?

Sylvia thank you for posting those links will come in very handy. Just picked up a 29-4 this will help me with it thanks again.

If anyone is needing parts for a 29-4 I have a parts machine that I bought for next to nothing to replace some parts on my working machine I even have to wax cup and the TABLE. I assure you I will sell the parts worth your money. If you live close enough you can come get the whole thing if you are interested. LOL

Kehl

Sylvia thank you for posting those links will come in very handy. Just picked up a 29-4 this will help me with it thanks again.

You are welcome. That's the one good thing about these old Singers... The company that owns singer is keeping the archive available for these old machines. There are gaps in the materials but most of them are available. :)

So I had a chance to work with 29 a bit more and whats bappening is the bobbin thread is getting wrapped up under the shuttle.

The bobbin unspools countrr clockwise in machine. Thread went in slot, under spring and threw hole. Case in shuttle with hole up and hook looking part toward operator.

@Chris...thank you

I wonder if the problem is that the arm that puts pressure on the tension disks from the foot. It hung up a couple times and the foot wouldnt go down. Maybe that arm got tweeked when it hung up?

Your very welcome.

Chris

Check the shuttle for a burr

In the metal?

Could a needle that is messed up or worn out cause this as well?

This is my first machine.

I'll try and post pix a bit later...

Edited by Nightshade

I had some more time to work with the Singer. It appears that inexperience and operator error were the major problems.

It wasnt the bobbin thread that was getting wrapped up in the shuttle, it was the top thread. I looked at the needle and it just didnt look right. After changing the needle, an Organ 160/23 I think I put in, its doing worlds better. The top tension still needs to be readjusted for the material, 2 layers of 6/7 veg chrome retan.

This thing will go through 2 layers of 12oz latigo like butter. The ideas have started flowing again...lol

In this little adventure I did discover that if I run the foot pressure adjustment at about half the marks from the foot go away, for the 6/7oz anyway.

Thank you all for the help.