Sign in to follow this  
UKCATSFAN

Newb saying hi and ????

Hello all. Ive only recently found this goldmine of info and appreciate all the posts. I posted in this forum for the fact holster making is what my recent projects(only 2) have been. I do have a couple questions. What is the general opinion of duplicating (copying) others designs? Is imitation the most sincere form of flattery???? Also, can i post examples of my latest work here for critique or should I post in the "show off" forums? Thanks

CATS_FAN

Edited by UKCATSFAN

MMMMMM well cant say for sure the correct answer for your first question but there are some styles/types or mechanisms that are copy righted so you gotta be careful.

most of the holster makers tend to post in this section regardless. The show off will get moved down here after a while but guess the holster guys like to keep it in the group lol.

Also post some pics and lets see it.

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

We like questions because it gives us an excuse to do a lot of typing, so bring 'em. As far as copying a design, if you're making something for youself, pretty much nobody but you knows it. If you make a duplicate of a design, and then market it, well you can run into problems. We had a long drawn out discussion of this not too long ago. Do a search (top right of the window) for "copyright infringement", and that should pull up some relevant threads.

If you want to just show everyone what you've been doing, post it in the 'show off' section. If you want input from them members, like what's good/bad, how to improve, or just want to know what folks think about it, then post it in the 'critique my work' section. Be warned: Posting there is a way of saying "take your best shot at it and gimme an honest critique". There will be some kind fluffy comments, and there will be some very straight forward comments that look at your work objectively. It's the single best way to improve your work, short of a full blown apprenticeship with a master artisan.

When you get a few free minutes, also drop a post in the 'member galllery' where folks other than sheath and holster junkies can meet you.