ruthless

Can anyone recommend some good books?

Hi,

I'd like to learn out how to make a rolled leather collar and also how to make lined collars. Can anyone suggest any good books or online tutorials?

Also, where can I source dog collar specific hardware, such as martingale chains and breakaway buckles, etc.?

Don't feel bad. THere are a LOT of posts asking for help on this board and not all of them get alot of replies. I asked a similar question about leather for collars and nobody answered. I figure it's not personal, it's just the luck of a high volume board.

So here's my two cents, I don't think it's terribly helpful but at least you won't feel alone :grouphug5vj5: I have been making collars and leads for a while, but I am far from an expert at sourcing good hardware, and I've been struggling with it too.

I did get some martingale chain from a Herm Sprenger dealer called RH McElheney, but I also have made martingales with a second leather strap as the martingale itself.

I still haven't found fabulous buckles, the ones called "dog collar buckles" that have the center bar are okay, but I really like roller buckles better with a keeper and a dee ring. I know that some people put the dee on the end for strength, and I have also seen some nice collars with buckles that have a round look at the tongue. My current deal is to look at vintage collars for how they are put together. Interestingly, they used to lock collars on dogs. And those spike collars were used to protect dogs from being attacked. The history of dog collars is a very interesting subject to me, but I'm just learning.

As for leashes, I use split braiding alot. I have been using latigo but I think that bridle leather is going to be better for me when I next need a side.

I don't think there is much in the way of a tutorial or book on dog collars, but think "belt" with a dee ring and you can get some good ideas.

Also, one more thing. If you put a dog's name on a collar, spacing on the letter sets is too wide unless you close it up in my opinion. I work from the center and just slighly imprint the leather with the letter by hand until I like the spacing.

Pat

BLUE_BURGUNDY_LEASH_1.jpg

MARSCOLLAR2.JPG

post-2368-1236668832_thumb.jpg

post-2368-1236668950_thumb.jpg

There was a very good and useful feature in 'Shoptalk' a while back on making rounded leather collars using a rein rounder. Drop them a line and ask for a copy.

Regarding the hardware, the first thing you need to work out is what each supplier calls the style of buckle you are looking for - most have their own terminology. I find it best to order using pictures of the thing I need.

The dog collar maker is rather 'underserviced' here; mainly, IMHO, because most people feel that it is a relatively simple thing to make. I'm of the opinion that a belt with a dee is how most people see dog collars but I've seen some recently that have amazed me. Delicate filligree work and contrasting linings - beautiful things and far too good to put on a stinkin' old dog like mine LOL (Don't anyone tell her I said that!).

I'm currently trying to improve the quality of my collars with linings, decorative stitching and in any other way I can think of so please count me into your discussions!

I have UK sources for most hardwear if that would help - just drop me a PM.

Ray

Hi,

I'd like to learn out how to make a rolled leather collar and also how to make lined collars. Can anyone suggest any good books or online tutorials?

Also, where can I source dog collar specific hardware, such as martingale chains and breakaway buckles, etc.?

Although they are located here in the US, the prices and customer service are excellent. AND, you don't have to buy huge quantities.

http://www.cdwplus.com/index.html

Can't help you with the rolled leather. I've been doing the braiding for years and recently started on flats.

g'luck

It may sound strange, but in the book "The Art of Making Leather Cases" Vol.II by Al Stohlman, the tecnique for making round handles with hidden seam is covered. I think this technique could also apply to collars, eh?

Also, instructions on how to make your own "rounder" are included in the same book.

Just a suggestion. Hope it helps you a little.

Hilly

Edited by Hilly

I agree that collars are an under-considered object, and many, many more people have dogs than horses, if you are looking for a profitable item.

I also have seen beautiful things, but more than that, I have my eye set on making collars that are really art pieces (not in a hurry, I'll get there over time). And I am just now planning to do a show at the pet store I manage -- late this year at best -- of dog collars which will be sold with half of the proceeds to go to charity. We are talking about high end items in Los Angeles and dog rescue, recession or not.

So maybe we start a thread that asks for the best dog collars and a little story about how they are made? Gotta run to work so I can't do it now, but I would love to get some horsepower, eh, dogpower, behind a thread like this.

Pat

mars.avatar.jpg

post-2368-1236701182_thumb.jpg

I agree that collars are an under-considered object, and many, many more people have dogs than horses, if you are looking for a profitable item.

I also have seen beautiful things, but more than that, I have my eye set on making collars that are really art pieces (not in a hurry, I'll get there over time). And I am just now planning to do a show at the pet store I manage -- late this year at best -- of dog collars which will be sold with half of the proceeds to go to charity. We are talking about high end items in Los Angeles and dog rescue, recession or not.

So maybe we start a thread that asks for the best dog collars and a little story about how they are made? Gotta run to work so I can't do it now, but I would love to get some horsepower, eh, dogpower, behind a thread like this.

Pat

mars.avatar.jpg

ruth

here is a site i get alot of snaps from, they also carrie different types of chains n loops

keystone mfg. & supply co.

4696 springside court

allentown pa 18104

tele# (610) 366-8818

fax# (610) 366-8825

email (info@kmsinc.net)

web www.kmsinc.net

hope this helps

jim

Thanks guys! Great to see my bumping was not in vain!!

If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free :D

Thanks guys! Great to see my bumping was not in vain!!

If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free :D

In the book " The Art of handsewing leather" by Al Stohlman there is a tutorial on sewing rolled leather parts

Edited by oldtimer