ChiefFilipino

First Leather Projects: Japanese Tabi, Kyahan, & Tekko, Bracelet, Key Holder And Wallet

Hello All!

I am new to leather crafting but I have fallen in love with it! I have a gazillion projects in mind but here are the first few projects I completed. Please help me become better with any tips, critiques, or thoughts you might have!

I study Budo Taijutsu and so I made these for myself to replace my worn out items:

Japanese Tabi (split toed boots)

post-63516-0-62480100-1435423570_thumb.jpost-63516-0-60502300-1435423571_thumb.jpost-63516-0-45179200-1435423572_thumb.jpost-63516-0-52846700-1435423573_thumb.jpost-63516-0-35278600-1435423574_thumb.jpost-63516-0-38692200-1435423575_thumb.j

Kyahan (basically like shin guards and to cover the pant legs)

post-63516-0-24179800-1435423637_thumb.j

It looks like I will have to add the other projects as replies because I hit the limit.

Ok I've run into technical difficulties! I haven't figured out how to work this site. I will post more pictures just as soon as I figure out what I'm doing!

I may have to start a thread for each new item.

Ok, I still haven't figured my way around the forum but I did find the gallery section. I put all my photos in the gallery titled First Leather Projects if you are interested in checking it out. Feedback is needed, requested, and appreciated!

I really like the split toed boots! :)

Thank you! I modified a moccasin design to make them. They are quite comfortable!

I made shoes one time. They were pretty comfy, but I got them wet. After they dried, they never were comfy again. They required too much effort to get into, so I never tried to stretch them out.

mocs_zpsf6bd790c.jpg

Those are nice! Mine are made of deer skin remnants and so far I have sweated in them but they haven't gotten soaked in water. Hopefully mine will be ok. I put resolene on the outside so hopefully that will help. Are yours deer skin?

Mine were vegtan and latigo. I thought that would make them more durable. Probably not the best thing to use.

man that's too bad. There were actually some pretty thick pieces in the deer skin remnants that I used because these puppies are going to see a lot of abuse. Nice guitars by the way!

Hi chief, interesting first projects , a change from the usual key fobs and bookmarks, you might like to consider putting your pics in the critique my work section. Most people do not like to point out faults in the show off section as this is more for people wanting to display their work and it might cause offense. All the best.

Thank you I will try to do that from here on out.