Regis

Finding Kangaroo hides in USA

Last year I purchased a lot with ostrich, alligator, and kangaroo. The ostrich & gator were pretty obvious and I just took the guy's word for the kangaroo and I sure like it for accents and more. Can't seem to find any kangaroo except lace. I sure would like to find a place to buy some hides. This is 1.5 - 2.0 oz and feels very sturdy. If you can confirm this is kangaroo and know where I can get some, I'd appreciate it.

Here is a photo of what I have. roo-1.jpg

Thanks,

Regis

Last year I purchased a lot with ostrich, alligator, and kangaroo. The ostrich & gator were pretty obvious and I just took the guy's word for the kangaroo and I sure like it for accents and more. Can't seem to find any kangaroo except lace. I sure would like to find a place to buy some hides. This is 1.5 - 2.0 oz and feels very sturdy. If you can confirm this is kangaroo and know where I can get some, I'd appreciate it.

Here is a photo of what I have. roo-1.jpg

Thanks,

Regis

Hi Regis,

if you can let me see a picture of the whole skin, then I could tell you. it's pretty hard from just a piece.

Kevin Hopkins

Wish I could but, all I ever had was about 8 irregular shaped peices that were roughly 6x15 inches.

Thanks

Regis

Wish I could but, all I ever had was about 8 irregular shaped peices that were roughly 6x15 inches.

Thanks

Regis

Hidecrafter's carries roo hides in a few colors, I think black, natural, and maybe cordavan/burgundy. You'll have to call em tho. I don't think the website is ready yet.

Marlon,

You were correct, Hidecrafters had some kangaroo hides. Pricey but, I bought a small one mostly to try to confirm the peices I have. I'll have a use for it as accent & trims. Too expensive as liner unless perhaps for a billfold.

Thank you,

Regis

Marlon,

You were correct, Hidecrafters had some kangaroo hides. Pricey but, I bought a small one mostly to try to confirm the peices I have. I'll have a use for it as accent & trims. Too expensive as liner unless perhaps for a billfold.

Thank you,

Regis

I use it strictly for making lace.

Welll, I my expensive kangaroo hide just arrived. Looking close, it does not look like what I had in texture & feel. The kangaroo is pretty thin (2 oz) and the original is considerably thinner but, probably more than 1oz. Sooo, now I have a dk brown hide waiting for an expensive project "someday". Still don't know what the original peices are and won't try buying anymore exotis to try to find out.

Thanks,

Regis

Regis, that sorta looks like shrunken bull shoulder to me

Edited by rickeyfro

Regis,

The photo looks like some kangaroo I bought several years ago from Panhandle Leather

in Amarillo Tx. I believe it was called Brush Kangaroo. Most of the wrinkles disappeared

when the leather was stretched. They have a small selection of kangaroo. Also check

www.charleshartke.com or www.newbigbook.com search the products & services guide for kangaroo.

Hope this helps you.

Blake

Try www.midwestwhips.com Paul has roo ides on hand and I think very reasonable. I got a small #2 just to try cutting lace for less than $60.

Several Years ago I bought a couple of large hides from Weaver (just enough to do one leg each). I believe they still have them for sale, (checked in the catalog and yes they do). I used them to make a special order set of chinks for a cutter. He still has them today displays them in his saddle shop when not in use, and they have "aged" beautifully. They took on a kind of rust patina, they are very light in weight, which he wanted cause he cuts mostly in the summer months around here and says he can wear them all day. Usually they take them off as soon as they are done with a run. He said that he gets lots of comments about them and where he got them, and has sent me a lot of work because of them. It's really nice material to work with, durable, has a nice feel and over time takes on a real nice patina. I certainly recommend it if you have a real pickyunish customer looking for something different. For those who want to see them, the are at Jacobs Boots and Saddles in Bellville Mi. I'd send pics, but; I don't have any and am not sure when I will be by that way again.

Hope that helps.

Bondo Bob

That hide looks like roo to me. But it looks glazed. Keep in mind you will be able find 2 types of hide finishes out there, glazed or unglazed.