capsterdog

Where Do You Buy Your Your Thread For Hand Sewing

Hi everyone,

I have just a simple question or 2. Where do you purchase your thread for hand sewing? Type and size for projects like wallets & purses. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I can't comment on the difference between left or right twist... because I have no idea :)

But as far as thread goes... I buy my waxed thread from MaineThread.com. They're customer service is great and they have a good selection of colors and sizes. Just shoot them an e-mail or call and they will mail you a sample card of the colors and sizes they carry.

I use waxed linen. http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17ar.htm has a good selection and the sample card is useful because it has the colors and the different sized threads. I like a 6 or 7 cord. left/right twist doesn't matter for hand stitching that is a machine designation.

Thank you for clearing up the left and right twist. I didn't see any 6 or 7 cord on their site. Am I missing something?

I use waxed linen. http://www.royalwood.../cat14-17ar.htm has a good selection and the sample card is useful because it has the colors and the different sized threads. I like a 6 or 7 cord. left/right twist doesn't matter for hand stitching that is a machine designation.

Edited by capsterdog

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and you'll see the various thread sizes.

I'd give them a call... $35 for a spool of thread seems a bit steep.

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and you'll see the various thread sizes.

I'd give them a call... $35 for a spool of thread seems a bit steep.

Agreed, pre-waxed, but only 150 yards.

I use 6 strand Barbour's linen thread from Campbell-Randall. It's $50, but it's also a pound of it - 916 yards - and that'll last you years even if you sew all the time. They didn't have natural and black available at the time, but it looks like they do now, and those are even cheaper. Doesn't take more than a minute to wax and set up thread, and pre-waxed thread is usually over-waxed, so it's not as white when you pull it tight.

Do you use Bees Wax or Parifin Wax ?

Agreed, pre-waxed, but only 150 yards.

I use 6 strand Barbour's linen thread from Campbell-Randall. It's $50, but it's also a pound of it - 916 yards - and that'll last you years even if you sew all the time. They didn't have natural and black available at the time, but it looks like they do now, and those are even cheaper. Doesn't take more than a minute to wax and set up thread, and pre-waxed thread is usually over-waxed, so it's not as white when you pull it tight.

i haven't used linen for hand stitching (yet). but i'd imagine that you'd use bees wax - in fact, i'm very sure that's what to use. it stays a bit tacky and preserves the thread. i wouldn't think that parafin wax would be useable in cake form for waxing thread.

as far as twist, wasn't there a thread about left or right twist for left or right handed stitching? although, i'm not exactly sure how handedness could be determined as far as stitching goes. when you think about it, you're doing the exact same technique with either hand.

Edited by ramrod

THREAD WITH A LEFT HAND TWIST IS USED FOR SEWING MACHINES GENERALLY IN THE U.S.

Left/right twist is not of huge importance in my experience, except when tapering the ends of the thread (unlaying, scraping then relaying. Even then it doesn't make much difference.

As for wax, I prefer to use the 'traditional' (whatever that means) beeswax/rosin mixture variously known as cobblers wax, hand wax or code/coad. It makes things just sticky enough to stay together easier. I mix it 50/50 but ideally I'd increase the amount of rosin for use in the summer and reduce it in winter.