JackFrost

Looking For A Head

Hi!

I've been making masks for some time now, and ive done it with the approach described on my blogspot

Blogspot

Ive used a home made face dummy, which has been working okay, but i would like a head, a full life size dummy head. to map out my masks.

Any one have any idea where to get one?

Tom Banwell uses this

Banwells dummy

Which is great! - something like that, or preferably, something with the back of the head as well.

Best Regards.

- Jack

Edited by JackFrost

I got one off of ebay several years ago. It is a regular manquin head.

I got one off of ebay several years ago. It is a regular manquin head.

But it needs to be life size. Isnt a mannequin head smaller than a Real head?

Depends on the size of the mannequin...? Hat stores use them on full size hats.

Hairdressing trainees use full size heads... you can get male and female .... great for mask making after all the hair is cut off... I have three... male ...female and another female that is cut in half and mounted on a board for larger masks that need to dry flat.

cheers

http://www.pivot-point.com.au/hairdressing-tools-supplies-special/specials-clearance/mens-hairdressing-mannequin-headform.html

Edited by leatheroo

Grrr - So far no luck! - all manniquin heads i've found are too small!

Tried mailing Pivot Point (they only ship to Australia) but they just referred me to a danish company, where the cheapest head costed 80pounds (thats a little over the top for my budget)

Please any links og recommendations would be very much apriciated!

- Jack

Hi there Jack..

I've had a little trawl around and found a couple of links for you to look at. Both heads I've found are around 22" circumference, which by my reckoning takes them to just around a medium size in motorcycle helmets, but I guess it depends on what size head your target audience may have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unisex-Glass-Display-Vintage-Head-EuroShopfittings-/270810991696?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f0d97cc50

http://www.equipashop.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=373&gclid=CJbAwvjMj7MCFe7MtAodE28AWA

I realise that they're on UK sites, but hopefully they'll help or perhaps give you ideas..

There are other ways around this, depending on your skills with molds and plaster, you could perhaps build up the head you've been using with clay or plasticine and then take a mold for casting?

Strange tho..I've always thought that there's nothing wrong with having a little head.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::whistle::innocent:

Regards

Phil

Hi!

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately i have those heads (i ceramic instead of glass) and they are very small, i guess they would be about the size of a young girl.

You can see the measurements here:

Height: 290mm Head: 550mm Neck: 300mm Base: 110mm but thank you so much for the trouble! I have condisered make one myself, but never tried molding. so i have no idea where to start. Do you no a place where i can find a guide to what i need and how to proceed? - Jack

Not cheap, but definitley lifesize

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Terminator-Life-size-Bust-1-1-Sideshow-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-T2-T3-hot-toys-/221153405077?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D3606242273980552424%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D221153171967%26

A bust of Arnold Scharzennegger. 22½" head, 17½ neck. Very nice. Just received mine today. I also have been very frustrated with how small mannequin heads are.

This is what I use to mold masks for now. I used to be hair and makeup designer (and production assistant!) for a local school. This cast was made using dental alginate, which I put thin bits of cotton like cotton balls pulled apart into, then a good layer of plaster bandages over. As soon as it was set and removed, I poured a generous amount of plaster to make the lifecast. The lines were from the mask design and the clay is what I molded the prosthetic from. Since I can't bring myself to chip that clay off, I work around it for now! My husband and son both have nice strong features, so I plan on life casting them for my mask work.

There are some great online tutorials for life casting.

BTW, I love the mask you did!

post-35570-0-14988000-1353466979_thumb.j

I just bought a full head and shoulders made of high-density foam from Monstermakers.com. The dimensions are perfect and it cost a total of about $70.00 after tax and shipping. Good luck!

Try Pottery Barn

^^^ cute...

from PB:

sculpted bear head

sale-$199.99

Edited by stanly