George B

Do I Curl The Belt When Lining W/pig Skin?

Hi all, quick question.

Do I curl the gun belt when gluing on the pigskin?

I do with holsters, and just wondered if I do the same thing with belts to keep the skin from bunching up when used.

Thanks, George

I've never made a belt yet, but thats my plan. Maybe particle will post, he recently had a similar issue.

Just sew the backing flat....you'll be fine.

But where you have to make the fold for the buckle you might have to make a small cuvarture to the belt.

Edited by Luke Hatley

Thanks, I tried the rolling pin after allowing to set for about 20 mins using Barge's all-purpose cement, a method I read on another thread and it turned out great.

I also did the bend for the buckle before applying the pigskin and all turned out well.

This forum is like the "Library of Congress" on leatherwork!

My hat off to all those who take time to contribute and post tutorials, you have saved my rear a few times. George

Care to share the rolling pin method with us?

Care to share the rolling pin method with us?

I copied and pasted the post

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:15 AM

snapback.pngRylas, on 30 September 2010 - 03:13 PM, said:

Hi guys, I've been trying to make a lined ipod case but I just can't wrap my head around the best way to line it and have it look good (or even work good). I've tried cutting the pigskin to size and gluing it only to realize that it creates ugly folds in the bottom when I actually fold it up to stitch. I've also tried cutting an oversized piece and trimming it after stitching, but it leaves ugly edges even if I dye them. Any tips to make this work better? Thanks!

That's an easy one, . . . lay your vegetable tanned leather face down on the work table. Do the same with your pigskin lining.

Now cover the back sides of each with Weldwood contact cement, available at any local lumber and most hardware stores. When it is dry, . . . about an hour or so, . . . can be done sooner if you are very careful in using a heat gun, . . . lay the veggie tan glued side on top of the pig skin glued side, . . . cover with a pillow case or something to protect the face of the veggie tan leather, . . . roll it with a rolling pin.

You now have basically one thickness of leather to work with, . . . make your ipod case from it. We do this all the time making holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight

i always curve the belt blank when i glue the liner to it. it's like prestressing it. it makes a much better finished product..