Sign in to follow this  
Ian1783

My First Industrial...

I'm Ian from the San Francisco Bay Area (San Mateo). My hobby of the last two years has been the buying, fixing, keeping, selling of vintage sewing machines in support of my wife's crafting endeavors. When she was given a large amount of leather, with the promise of more, she began to research simple projects and ran into issues with the machines she had. A walking-foot attachment for her Singer 316G solved an immediate problem, but had me interested in pursuing the acquisition of a machine more appropriate for her needs. I ran across Wizcrafts' postings regarding walking-foot industrials, and jumped on a deal for a Consew 206RB-3. What a beast!

With your indulgence, I'd like to pose a question or two (or three) about this machine, so that I might feel more comfortable with this first foray into working with leather:

I'll be working with lighter grades of leather to begin with (I haven't yet learned the meaning of the terms for leather weights and grades) – perhaps furniture grade; maybe garment grade. It's light enough to sew well with a fairly powerful domestic machine (the above mentioned Singer 316G, for one). I imagine starting with simple projects like small bags; maybe wallets; then, who knows.

I bought a Consew 206RB-3 locally off Craigslist. I know sewing machines, but this is something new for me. Perhaps there are those of you who might have answers to my questions:

The machine came with one needle. 135 X 17 is the recommended needle. Are these typically found at local stores like sew-and-vac type stores, or can one expect to have to buy online?

My operating instructions (a zerox-type pamphlet with poor-quality illustrations) show a presser-foot pressure adjustment screw on the back of the machine just behind the thread-guide pin. This is counter intuitive for me, as I'm used to making the adjustment at the needle bar, usually by a knob above, and acting on, the needle-bar spring. That spring is there, and there is a screw directly above, but it doesn't seem available as an easy means for adjustment (it's tight).

The motor on the machine is a Consew clutch motor. Is there a best way for adjusting this to maximize slow-speed sensitivity? I'm sure a servo motor would be a better way for what I want to accomplish, but I'm operating on a shoestring budget (the machine cost me $200).

The utility light attached to the table is powered through the motor. It isn't working. I would think a regular plug into a power strip might be the better way to go. Thoughts?

I have only the one foot with this machine and it appears to be off just a bit. The needle enters the hole in the feed dog right about center, but is positioned off center in the hole on the foot. The hole on the foot seems to be positioned more closely to the left (as you face the machine), but the foot itself seems to favor a position to the right, so that the foot, when following the feed dog, wants to just hit the needle plate as it descends with the feed dog below the level of the needle plate. This causes the foot to want to slip sideways just a hair (essentially slipping off the needle plate as it descends below the surface of the needle plate). I can see that this may not be cause for concern with material under the presser foot. Thoughts?

I'm exited to have this machine. I'm now pretty comfortable with minor repairs to domestic machines, and this is a welcomed challenge. The machine itself is little used, though it has been in storage for some time (how long, I don't know. I don't know the machine's year of manufacture). I now have it oiled and running, but I've yet to test stitch anything; perhaps today.

Thank you for this opportunity to ask these questions. I'm amazed at the examples of artistry and craftsmanship to be found here at Leatherworker.net. And the manner in which members support and help each other is comforting for one at the very beginnings of the discipline.

Ian

SF Bay Area

http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

Edited by Ian1783

Congrats on the good buy.It sounds like all you need to do is loosen the center foot screw & turn it alittle.Your correct about the foot pressure screw if you look in the back you'll see the leaf spring that your adjusting & how when you turn it down you get more pressure,don't use the little black screw on top.On the clutch motor,they have a cork pad in them & sometimes the face of the flywheel in there gets rust on it so it grabs,there's 3-screws you can takeoff & take the clutch unit of & put a tablespoon size of grease or vaseling on it to make it slip better.

Leather point needles are 135x16 you can look here: http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html to match your size thread with the correct size needle.You should be able to find them.

You can go to Consews webiste & copy off the manual look in the resources part.

Since it's been setting don't forget to oil everything that moves on it & it should be a great machine for you.

Bob

Phew! Lot's of questions. LOL

I'm Ian from the San Francisco Bay Area (San Mateo). My hobby of the last two years has been the buying, fixing, keeping, selling of vintage sewing machines in support of my wife's crafting endeavors. When she was given a large amount of leather, with the promise of more, she began to research simple projects and ran into issues with the machines she had. A walking-foot attachment for her Singer 316G solved an immediate problem, but had me interested in pursuing the acquisition of a machine more appropriate for her needs. I ran across Wizcrafts' postings regarding walking-foot industrials, and jumped on a deal for a Consew 206RB-3. What a beast!

With your indulgence, I'd like to pose a question or two (or three) about this machine, so that I might feel more comfortable with this first foray into working with leather:

I'll be working with lighter grades of leather to begin with (I haven't yet learned the meaning of the terms for leather weights and grades) – perhaps furniture grade; maybe garment grade. It's light enough to sew well with a fairly powerful domestic machine (the above mentioned Singer 316G, for one). I imagine starting with simple projects like small bags; maybe wallets; then, who knows.

I bought a Consew 206RB-3 locally off Craigslist. I know sewing machines, but this is something new for me. Perhaps there are those of you who might have answers to my questions:

The machine came with one needle. 135 X 17 is the recommended needle. Are these typically found at local stores like sew-and-vac type stores, or can one expect to have to buy online?

The needle is for canvas, sails etc. You need 135 X 16 in several sizes.

My operating instructions (a zerox-type pamphlet with poor-quality illustrations) show a presser-foot pressure adjustment screw on the back of the machine just behind the thread-guide pin. This is counter intuitive for me, as I'm used to making the adjustment at the needle bar, usually by a knob above, and acting on, the needle-bar spring. That spring is there, and there is a screw directly above, but it doesn't seem available as an easy means for adjustment (it's tight).

Greg at "Keystone" has a PDF of the manual, actually a Seiko machine, pretty near exactly what yours is.

The motor on the machine is a Consew clutch motor. Is there a best way for adjusting this to maximize slow-speed sensitivity? I'm sure a servo motor would be a better way for what I want to accomplish, but I'm operating on a shoestring budget (the machine cost me $200).

You are going to need a servo motor to sew leather. Some folks here can do just fine with the clutch motor, most of us cannot.

The utility light attached to the table is powered through the motor. It isn't working. I would think a regular plug into a power strip might be the better way to go. Thoughts?

I have only the one foot with this machine and it appears to be off just a bit. The needle enters the hole in the feed dog right about center, but is positioned off center in the hole on the foot. The hole on the foot seems to be positioned more closely to the left (as you face the machine), but the foot itself seems to favor a position to the right, so that the foot, when following the feed dog, wants to just hit the needle plate as it descends with the feed dog below the level of the needle plate. This causes the foot to want to slip sideways just a hair (essentially slipping off the needle plate as it descends below the surface of the needle plate). I can see that this may not be cause for concern with material under the presser foot. Thoughts?

You need to call

Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Machines. 1-866-362-7397.

He will have all the answers for you and the necessary feet etc.

I'm exited to have this machine. I'm now pretty comfortable with minor repairs to domestic machines, and this is a welcomed challenge. The machine itself is little used, though it has been in storage for some time (how long, I don't know. I don't know the machine's year of manufacture). I now have it oiled and running, but I've yet to test stitch anything; perhaps today.

Thank you for this opportunity to ask these questions. I'm amazed at the examples of artistry and craftsmanship to be found here at Leatherworker.net. And the manner in which members support and help each other is comforting for one at the very beginnings of the discipline.

Ian

SF Bay Area

Enjoy your machine, I think you got a bargain even if it does have a clutch motor. LOL

ferg

Thanks Bob! All my questions answered in one reply! How great is that?

So that's how the presser-foot pressure works, a leaf spring. I do see what must be that spring in there. I'll have to look for the effect of the adjustment screw.

I have made an adjustment to the foot (here, I mean the needle foot – a new description, what with the two feet), but, after aligning it with the presser foot, it does have that issue.

I'm sure I'll have to tear into the motor to learn more about them. This one isn't grabbing so much, as seeming to want to ramp up to speed with so little movement of the pedal. I can get a pretty slow stitch, but not as much control as I'd like. I'm sure with more than a minute's experience, I'll get better at controlling the speed.

And thanks for the tip on looking for instructions on Consew's site. I'll give that a try.

Ian

SF Bay Area

Thank you all for the input and information! There was a little bit of everything, and much to digest.

I did check out the Consew site for an online manual for my machine, and indeed, there was one for the 206RB-5, which appears to be just what came with my machine, but the pictures were a bit clearer, so that's a plus.

I rewired the light to plug into a power strip instead of the motor. And I then threaded the machine for a test sew: scared the hell out of me. I'll be looking into a servo motor for sure.

The thread broke a couple of times, but for the most part, it sewed well. I'll need to slow it down to see just what I'm doing.

Also, with the power on, the machine won't turn by hand without using the pedal, so I can't advance or reverse a half stitch or two as I'm used to with domestic machines. I'm hoping a servo motor will allow for a more familiar feel and action.

I posted a photo on my blog: http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

Thanks again for the help! I'll have more questions down the road, I'm sure. Hopefully they'll include one or two about a new servo motor.

I see I've double posted my original post. Still learning

Ian

SF Bay Area

Edited by Ian1783

Normally, you may need to depress the peddle slightly to allow the hand wheeling. Remember, I have a servo motor.

ferg[

quote name=Ian1783' timestamp='1346983770' post='263473']

Thank you all for the input and information! There was a little bit of everything, and much to digest.

I did check out the Consew site for an online manual for my machine, and indeed, there was one for the 206RB-5, which appears to be just what came with my machine, but the pictures were a bit clearer, so that's a plus.

I rewired the light to plug into a power strip instead of the motor. And I then threaded the machine for a test sew: scared the hell out of me. I'll be looking into a servo motor for sure.

The thread broke a couple of times, but for the most part, it sewed well. I'll need to slow it down to see just what I'm doing.

Also, with the power on, the machine won't turn by hand without using the pedal, so I can't advance or reverse a half stitch or two as I'm used to with domestic machines. I'm hoping a servo motor will allow for a more familiar feel and action.

I posted a photo on my blog: http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

Thanks again for the help! I'll have more questions down the road, I'm sure. Hopefully they'll include one or two about a new servo motor.

I see I've double posted my original post. Still learning

Ian

SF Bay Area

A few things you can do with your clutch motor

1. Switch to a smaller pulley 2"

2. Adjust the pedal to clutch linkage so the pedal has to move further for full stroke

3. Put a speed reducer pulley set between the motor and head

4. Practice slipping the clutch

And like Ferg said, press the pedal a little to release the brake so you can hand wheel it.

CTG