mrdabeetle

Medieval/renaissance/fantasy Pattern Pack

Hey guys and gals, I'm going to be releasing a pattern pack soon, and I was wondering what else I should include in the pack. So far, I have an assortment of pouches, weapon holders (axe, knife, sword hanger, etc.), vambraces (forearm armor), wristbands, headbands, drinking vessels, mug straps, and a couple of hats. These will be "CopyLeft" and do not require credit to myself. Anyone can freely distribute or alter the patterns in any way. The only thing that I ask is DO NOT SELL THE PATTERNS.

Let me know what kinds of patterns you would like to see in the pack. I also have a few steampunk patterns, but I'm not sure that I want to release those just yet.

Patterns are here

Edited by Northmount
Updated with link to patterns

I have been making some armor, mostly from photo references but I am looking for patterns that have chest pieces. I have tried working from corset patterns but it hasn't worked yet. Steam punk patterns would be awesome to include!

For female chest, you can use the torso section of a dress pattern, a bodice pattern, etc. You will need to choose a pattern that has seams that flow with the shape of the torso.

For male armor, you would use a vest pattern and alter it where needed.

CabinetLarge-lotrurukhaiarmour.jpg

UHbppat.jpg

I prefer to make a duct tape double of the person and make the pattern from it.

Take a look here for the workflow of a replica leather chest and backplate. http://www.therpf.co...c-heavy-129624/

Also check out other people's work. Look and see where they put seams, how the parts are attatched, etc. Check out this gallery, he's a member here and does top notch work. http://azmal.deviantart.com/gallery/

I would also be interested when you get the pattern pak done

I'd be interested too :) and if you do release the steampunk pack I would love to see it

Thank you for releasing thioos pack, cannot wait to see it. This is what this site is all about.

would be great that these packs should be released ;-) thanks, I am interessted in both packs

I'd also be interested in the pattern packs. Good patterns are hard to find.

Thank you for you generosity!

I too would like the pattern pack. Being new i am collecting any free stuff i can for ideas. Thanks for being so generous.

I'd be interested as well. Sounds like a fun project to try when I have no orders on the go. My husband wants an archery gauntlet, which your patterns might help me with.

I'm glad to see some interest. I may not have them finished before the renfair starts, but I'll work on them when I can. Thanks for the input. To release them faster, I may release them without instructions and add instructions later.

I also would be interested.

I would be interested in all sorts of these patterns thanks!

I am most interested in complex armor pieces. Helmets, elbows and the like. I'm building up my own pack of them because I'll be teaching some kids how to play vikings this summer and part of that camp will be helmet building. Getting more data points would be great though!

Other than that, shoes are another big thing.

Wow, sounds great! Thanks!

pouches, midevil pouches ;-)

Can't get enough patterns. Would be great to have.

Adding patterns for shields would also be great. (For me, at least.)

God bless.

Ray

Would be excellent to have some helmet and arm-guard patterns.

Such a pattern pack would be useful indeed down this end of the planet!

Spaulders for me, never could get them to hang right!

I don't really do shoes, but there are several tutorials online for making early footwear.

http://mikemojc.2bit...om/Gillies.html

http://www.housebarr...3/10shoe04.html

http://www.housebarr...3/09shoe03.html

http://browse.devian...oidery-80857791

Helmets can often be tricky because of the wet forming. I was hoping to keep the patterns simple, but I'll throw in a couple. I'll need to write up instructions for them though. I have some greathelm patterns that are super easy and require no forming at all.

Spaulders for me, never could get them to hang right!

Making the harness is the hard part in my experience. I'll be making patterns for a generic late medieval - renaissance full suit from helmet to sabatons, so you can pick and choose what you need.

Thanks for the wealth of support everyone.