Sign in to follow this  
SnappingDragon

Working With Leather Manipulation

I haven't been to this forum in awhile but thought I'd stop in to get some feedback on my new mask styles. Lately I've really been trying to manipulate the leather a lot more, creating ridges and eyebrows and such. Here's a couple of my latest so you can get an idea of what I'm working on. The third mask is one of my older masks which can give you an idea of how much more I'm trying to manipulate the leather. I'd appreciate any feedback that you may have. I'm feel there is lots of room for improvement in the coloring of the masks (especially on the green one). I paint by hand using leather acrylics as I don't have an airbrush.

post-16374-058814700 1306907045_thumb.jp

post-16374-060201700 1306907069_thumb.jp

post-16374-028034100 1306907125_thumb.jp

I can definitely see the improvement, and the masks are a nice shape. Start saving for the airbrush NOW...it will add the dimension in color that you never achieve with hand painting.

cheers

Those look great-- do you mind if I ask what weight of leather you are using? I always have a debate with myself over strength vs. flexibility.

I haven't been to this forum in awhile but thought I'd stop in to get some feedback on my new mask styles. Lately I've really been trying to manipulate the leather a lot more, creating ridges and eyebrows and such. Here's a couple of my latest so you can get an idea of what I'm working on. The third mask is one of my older masks which can give you an idea of how much more I'm trying to manipulate the leather. I'd appreciate any feedback that you may have. I'm feel there is lots of room for improvement in the coloring of the masks (especially on the green one). I paint by hand using leather acrylics as I don't have an airbrush.

Those look great-- do you mind if I ask what weight of leather you are using? I always have a debate with myself over strength vs. flexibility.

Akkk sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you I don't stop by this forum very often. These masks were made out of 3/4oz leather. I find this weight to be a good compromise between stiffness and weight. I've made masks out of 7oz and I just found it too be too heavy. I like my masks to be light and comfortable and not weigh down on your face.