BDAZ

Threading A Cobra Class 4 Vs. Cowboy 4500?

I was looking at a couple of instructional videos, one on the Cowboy 4500 and the other on the Cobra Class 4. Both machines seem almost identical. I am guessing they are made in the same factory, but maybe not,

What I found surprising was the threading instructions were totally different, almost opposite. For example Cobra bobbins are inserted with the thread running clockwise while the Cowboy using and identical bobbin goes counter clockwise.

Is there a right and a wrong way to thread theses similar machines. What is the advantage of one over another?

Thanks!

Bob

I usually insert my bobbins so they feed counterclockwise, in all sewing machines. But, on my CB4500, sometimes the thread is extra grabby under the bobbin case tension spring. In those instances I will flip the bobbin so it feeds clockwise, which tends to be smoother.

What a lot of folks are either forgetting or ignoring is the beehive shaped coil spring inside the bottom of the bobbin cases on all the 441 clones. The spring serves to help eject the bobbins for quicker reloading. BUT, it also acts as an "anti-backlash" spring. These springs are meant to keep the bobbin from spinning on its own from the inertia of the thread being pulled out at high speeds, which could lead to jumbled up thread inside the case. Most 441 clones are operated at breakneck speeds like 1 or 2 stitches per second! Not much spin develops at those speeds.

This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

If you put the thread in counter-clockwise the thread will (should) stay under the bobbincase tension spring better do to the greater angle that it has as it comes off the bobbin.

Another difference is the threading of the tension discs which are different directions than the Cowboy, they go through the guides twice as seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OtfCvzm14A

Threading starts at 3:14

The Cowboy starts at 1:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boZOA4MTu2Y

Interesting

Cya!

Bob..

They are the same machine. They use different "things" to create tension. The C4 has the hole for the post on top if you would like to use it. In past threads I have posted my method. I have almost zero tension on the discs and fairly light bobbin tension. I thread through the first eye, then straight down and through the next eye, and I don't go completely around the disc counter clockwise as I exit throught the next eye and things go normally after that.
Put a lube box on you C4500 or your C4 and you will change the tension noticeably. Just different ways of getting a good stitch.

The bobbin should turn counter clockwise on all 441 type machines. Steve

You should always go aeound the second tension 1 & 1/2x so the thread can grip the tension pulley.

Edited by CowboyBob

CB, I went through the C4 acclimated period and, after some experimentation, wound up (pun intended) with my sequence. The CB4500 uses the post on top to make tension in addition to the discs and pulleys. Admittedly, I am a personality A and always experiment. However, after I hit on the sequence, I have not changed it for months. It does beautifully.

L4GTkgM.jpg

OIEwgjw.jpg

@ Red Cent, what thread size are you using on the belts!