qarawol

CUSTOM Leather Flashlight Holsters

I'll just start off showing several pics of my own leather creations.

I have been collecting and using Flashlights for as long as I can remember. As a kid Flashlights have always been a play toy for me and now that I am older, they are still a play toy yet they just get more expensive.

Starting off with the limited edition 'ARC mania' SuperFlashlight Five... aka SF-V

When i fist made a holster for the SF-V, it was nice and it worked for me. Then I noticed I could make it better... Isn't that always the case?

For the 2nd version, these differences will be...

• A stronger belt clip that will fit belt widths to 2", (the other one fit a max of 1.5")...

• A one piece backing (will not be usable with the Universal Backing)...

• Slightly larger head wrap...

• Thicker leather...

• Dual snap retaining strap...

• A precisely shaped head wrap that lifts the Flashlights head slightly above the backing to prevent it from hitting the Chicago screw head.

The four cell SF-V (longer) is sporting the new design while the three cell SF-V shows the original.

Side by side...

100_9769.jpg

Showing dual snaps...

100_9770.jpg

Larger belt width capability (and stronger)...

100_9771.jpg

See the light under the head...

OmegaDesign.jpg

For those who do not know, these 'ARC mania' SF-V's are super special Flashlights. I have sold TWO of the 4-cell version for $800.00+ and the 3 cell can get a bit more $ for it is even more rare/scarce.

NEXT -

The making of the 'ARC mania' Mega Micro Flashlight holster (ver 1)...

This is what is involved in making an 'ARC mania' Mega Micro Leather Holster. Everything is completely HAND made, cut one piece at a time, sewn, dyed (optional), finishing touches until the final product.

All pieces are measured, one at a time (no cookie cutter here)...

HandMeasured.jpg

I use contact cement on the stitch lines...

ContactCementStiching.jpg

Pulling a needle through 3 layers of leather is no easy task. I have broken many needles...

3LayersSewing.jpg

One side stitched...

OneSideStiched.jpg

2nd stitch line alignment...

StichAligment.jpg

Hand sewn. Yep! I need new gloves!!!...

HandSewn.jpg

BTW - Am I the only one that does this next step??

This shows how I just don't form the leather to fit right away...

SizeBefore.jpg

I have to stretch fit AFTER SEWING to make my holsters work. The Surefire 3P body is 1" in diameter (black Flashlight in holster). The Mega Micro is a bit over 1.25" due to knurling. See how even 1" is still too small to "just fit". This requires a lot more work and I think I am the only one that does this. Besides, look at the backing, the Flashlight body or head wrap on my leather holsters don't ever rarely exceed the width of the backing. Clearly showing that it is not just wet molded. I can't even clamp my leather work before stitching due to the tension of the leather. My stitch lines are usually under the body or head and I stitch the entire length. Also, look how close I am to the edge. This makes for an overall smaller holster. Most think my ways of holster making is a waste of time. A holster is a holster as long as it holds what we want. So then a Flashlight is a Flashlight. Yeah Right! We know better.

Edge beveled...

Beveled.jpg

Sanding the edges...

Sandinga.jpg

Sandingc.jpg

A few more touches...

EdgeCoat.jpg

EdgeCoata.jpg

And VIOLA! A finished project...

Finished.jpg

Finishedb.jpg

Finisheda.jpg

COMPLETELY 100% HAND MADE! I didn't include the pics of installing the snaps, belt clip or the little leather disc inside to cover the snap to prevent scratching. I still have to sign and date.

There you go folks, all that work (4+ hours) just to make a Custom Leather Holster... EASY!

NEXT

Mega Micro CONCEPT Leather Holster (ver 2).

Well y'all have seen the NEW Mega Micro Leather Holster and how it is made.

"Most" vertical carry holsters keep the Flashlight tight to the body if it is tight to the belt. A lot of nylon 'cheapies' has an over sized belt loop and flops around and is not tight to the body so this comparison will not apply to the the cheapies.

Drawing a Flashlight straight up may bind on the cover flap or on your body making it a bit on the slight side of hindrance. Here is my CONCEPT of how it can be avoided.

The all NEW 'Self Tilting' CONCEPT Leather Holster for the Mega Micro!!!!...

Snapped closed, tight to the body and looks like the first holster I made...

MegaMicroConcept.jpg

Unsnapping reveals its hidden secret...

MegaMicroConcepta.jpg

The Holster remains tight to the body as long as the flap remains closed and snapped. Unsnapping the flap will allow the Flashlight's tail to automatically 'tilt', at an angle, an additional 1" away from the body making it a little easier to draw and re-holster.

A NEW CONCEPT in CUSTOM Made 100% Leather Holsters (less hardware & thread).

What y'all think?

Has anyone ever saw or used rawhide used as a holster? Rawhide is leather before it is leather as we know it. It is when the skin is taken right off the animal, stretched and hung to dry. No tanning process is used except for bleaching if desired. Bleached rawhide is mainly used for drum heads, lamp shades, shields etc. Anything that requires a stiff semi translucent white material. The tanning process is used to soften, color and make the leather pliable so that we can use it to make holsters, jacket, shoes, etc.

If you never seen rawhide before it is REALLY STIFF!!! I always wanted to make a holster out of rawhide but was scared due to the fear of it being so stiff and non workable... so I thought!

I asked if plain (non bleached) rawhide was sold in smaller pieces then the entire half a cow. I preferred the non bleached one for it is very translucent, looks semi clear brown and it shows much more characteristics then the plain looking white bleached one.

Two Leather Store managers never heard of rawhide used for a holster. Well if you know me, I had to be different. I wanted to see if it was possible to make a holster out of something unique. Here is a sample of what I have made using small remnants of bleached rawhide.

100_0315.jpg

100_0320.jpg

The following pictures shows just how stiff this rawhide is. Look at the above picture again and look at the curvature of the retaining strap. Below are pictures of me holding the Flashlight up gripping just one edge of the strap with a pair of needle nose pliers.

100_0317.jpg

100_0319.jpg

Look how it doesn't bend much with TWO loaded working Flashlights. The SF-III is no light weight either and it is wearing its holster! Keep in mind that the strap is a mere 1/16th of an inch thick and only 1/2" wide. The head loop alone WITHOUT a flashlight inserted seems like it can withstand maybe 50 pounds + of crushing pressure. I pressed my palm down on it HARD! It compresses to an oval shape and springs right back. THIS IS SOME STRONG STUFF MAYNARD!

Working with this rawhide takes a lot more time. Maybe because it is new to me though I do know it still takes more work since you have to do a few more steps to do what you want it to do. Since I know now how to work with this tuff stuff.... Now to buy the expensive plain rawhide!!!!

More to come...

Njoy...

QUARAWOL, those are really great! I've never seen any that nice. I'll be telling my dad & brother about them as we all carry Surefire. Most think we're just crazy to spend that much on a flashlight but... well, you know. Again, great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Bryan

garawol, Great stuff!!! thanks for showing how you make your flashlight holsters. i like flashlights to. but i never know they had $800.00+ ones out there.. :jawdropper: if i had one like that don't think i would be needing a holster.. maybe a safe.. again great job and thanks for sharing... :spoton:

Yep! There are some high priced ones out there. They are a niche of people out there for these, like me. Here is a link for info on the 'ARC mania' SF-V... http://www.customlightfactory.com/phpbb3/v...p;sk=t&sd=a --- Mega Micro... http://www.customlightfactory.com/phpbb3/v...?f=20&t=956 (I got a prototype!)

Here is a better picture explaining my stretching technique.

Showing how small the head still is AFTER SEWING (the one to the right)...

100_0048.jpg

A lot of muscle.

100_0050.jpg

See how big the loop is now? Look at the tension at the stitch line. This is just not wet molded. I take this added extra step to make my leather holsters a little special. This takes a bit of knowledge of how thick the leather is and how the leather feels when working it dry. It also makes for a tighter second skin look as well as an overall smaller profile holster with all the strength of a larger one. Look at the following picture and see that the backing DOES NOT exceed the width of the head wrap, clearly showing how much smaller the holster is compared to the normal wet molded types.

100_0064.jpg

Njoy...

Nice job!

Thanks for the instruction pics.

Art

:banana: .......very nice tutorial.......classy stuff......... :thankyou: for sharing your methods

You will possibly consider the question silly but how do these flashlights compare to a MagLite? Right now, as far as I am concerned, it doesn't get any better than a Maglite - or does it?

Ray

You will possibly consider the question silly but how do these flashlights compare to a MagLite? Right now, as far as I am concerned, it doesn't get any better than a Maglite - or does it?

Ray

Not a silly question if you really don't know the difference between a Maglite and a Custom Super Power Limited Edition one.

This comparison will be between the SF-V and the Maglite 3D.

Size...

SizeComparison.jpg

All pictures below were taken with a Kodak P850 Digital Camera mounted on a Tripod, Shutter speed set to 1/2 second, f2.8 ISO 50. The camera lens and the window of the Flashlights are approximately 30' from the shutter. Flashlight held one inch to the left of camera. I chose these settings for it best shows what the eyes sees before the night adaptation kicks in. The pictures were untouched!!!

Dark room (front yard lights glowing behind shutter)...

Dark.jpg

Maglite 3D...

Maglite3D.jpg

'ARC mania' SF-V on low ...

SF-VLevel1.jpg

'ARC mania' SF-V on Turbo...

SF-VLevelTurbo.jpg

See the smoke detector better? The SF-V has four modes. Low-Med-High and TURBO! Okay five modes including 'off'

---

To keep things on topic, here is a holster I made for the 'ARC mania' Extreme Micro I made…

EMLength.jpg

EMwithClip.jpg

It can rotate 90 degrees on the fly for use as a hip light…

EMHorizontal.jpg

And here is just a teaser of the 'ARC mania' Extreme Micro's output vs the Maglite 3D's…

The camera settings were the same for both beam shots. I think they were the same as the ones listed above. Again, untouched photos.

Size comparison… isn't the tiny silver one so cute!!! Three large batteries vs one little green one.

MagLite3DvsEMPD.jpg

Maglite 3D…

MagLite3D-1.jpg

'ARC mania' Extreme Micro…

ARCmaniaExtremeMicroPD.jpg

This Extreme Micro I have is one of three made (I have two). It sports a special LED and can sell for $350.00+ used.

A lot of output for such a small package. I hope the beam shots pics help.

Njoy…

Edited by qarawol

Okay, point made; better light output, lighter weight and smaller size? Sounds like a winner to me apart from the cost factor. Who buys this sort of thing outside law enforcement and security guards?

Ray

Nice work. I especially like how the edge below the bezel looks rolled in.

Thanks for the tips and thanks for showing the difference between the flashlights! I was aware there were new high tech flashlights, but had no idea what the real difference between them was. Great stuff!

Bob

There are many styles of holsters for Flashlights and what you have seen are indeed holsters. Some of the ones I make are a work of art and some are basic. One design may work for one user but not another. my saying is, "you no longer have to settle", since many here can create them ourselves! Though it may just be me… my thoughts are still… when you look at a holster, what do you see? You see a holster.

Did you ever think of having a holster so nice that you would not mind using it in public or better yet… WANTED to show it off? Have you ever owed a nice looking Flashlight that placing it on a holster was just wrong? How could you show it off being hidden or partially hidden behind a case no matter what material?

I've always liked my open holster design but many don't. I never was concerned about getting a scratch on it by rubbing on a brick wall. I carry to use and so be it if it gets scratched. I may drop it on concrete and then what? If you take it out of the house unprotected, plan on it getting a bruise and no hurt feelings when it gets a boo boo. No I don't look to cause said damage on purpose but if it happens, no big deal. Battle scars, they call it, just gives character to our toys.

I know of some that don't like holsters at all. What? Why? Do you think because they never found one that fits 'their' needs? I would lean towards that. They have tried and tested and never found one that made them happy so they gave up. They didn't settle but I bet they never gave 'custom' a chance.

The 'ARC mania' SF-V and the little brother the Extreme II are just two good looking Flashlights (IMHO). Away with the basic cylinder shape, no knurling and shaped like no other and has a unique beauty all its own. (I have a problem, don't I?)

Speaking of open design, is it possible to make a custom Leather Holster that has an open design that is so open that it's practically invisible? hmmm…?

This is what I started with – just an idea - a desire to make something so different…

100_2351.jpg

Now here is the dual holster I completed to hold the two said Flashlights. Let's play, "Can You See The Holster"?

100_2472.jpg

I really gave a new definition to an Open Design Holster. This is by far the hardest design and the longest time to create. It is COMPLETELY AMBIDEXTROUS and with almost a 360 degree lockable tilts on both. I can also switch to single carry mode on the fly with no tools. It can be belt only, clipped to pants, wrist carried and soon to be legged strapped. This sports a fully exposed window with no beam diffuser.

I always try to think out of the box and how can I be different. I climbed out of the box and got on a bus, 2 trains, 3 boats, 1 taxi, 2 planes and a camel to get far away from the box on this project.

Njoy...