LAPat

Fixing the timing on a walking foot machine

Is there anyone who knows how to fix the timing on a Pfaff walking foot or can refer me to a web site that will walk me through it. I disassembled the bobbin case and shuttle hook to clean it, and when I got it back together, the timing is off. The instructions said that the timing would be protected if I just lined up the case to the baseplate as instructed but it is not happening. It's not even close to catching the thread.

Thanks in advance

LA Pat

I'm not sure what model Pfaff you have but this is from the 1245 manual.

Hook to needle clearance, needle rise, needle height.

Requirement.

With the stitch length set at 3 and the needle rise at (1.8mm after BDC of the needlebar on model B and 2mm after BDC of the needle bar on model C), the following must be true

1. The distance to the needle must be 0.05 - 0.1mm and the hook point must be pointing to the middle of the needle.

2. The top edge of the eye of the needle must be 0.8 - 1mm below the hook point

3. The needle guard must lightly touch the needle.

Barra

Edited by barra

Pat, what machine do you have? Is your machine luggable?

Steve from Artisan told me at a show that he would help anyone from leatherworker.net with ANY machine. You may be able to call him and get a quick fix. It sounds like you are not indexing the hook correctly. You just need to lineup the hook to the needle, if you change anything else it can put the feed out of time, not a tragedy but a different can of worms. The fix is simply putting the hook back where you found it. Specs barra gave you are good for most medium duty machines so just line up the hook so it matches those.

Art

Is there anyone who knows how to fix the timing on a Pfaff walking foot or can refer me to a web site that will walk me through it. I disassembled the bobbin case and shuttle hook to clean it, and when I got it back together, the timing is off. The instructions said that the timing would be protected if I just lined up the case to the baseplate as instructed but it is not happening. It's not even close to catching the thread.

Thanks in advance

LA Pat

Thanks guys for your help. I was able to reassemble the shuttle and the machine is sewing well. I sew with sheepskin so you can imagine the lint that builds up everywhere and I have been reticent to clean the shuttle because I was worried about the reassemble. Now I have a little more self confidence.

Best

LA PAt

Hi Pat,

A good mechanic will learn by the three step system.

1. Watch one.

2. Do one.

3. Teach one.

If you can't do number one, then the manual becomes helpful, usually takes a little longer without it because you have to get inside the head of the guy who designed it.

The current state of our educational system attests to the fact that 80% of our teachers never do 1 or 2.

Art

Thanks guys for your help. I was able to reassemble the shuttle and the machine is sewing well. I sew with sheepskin so you can imagine the lint that builds up everywhere and I have been reticent to clean the shuttle because I was worried about the reassemble. Now I have a little more self confidence.

Best

LA PAt