OdinUK

Tiw Anglo Saxon God Of War

Here is a patch, just for hanging on the wall. My friend had this picture as a tattoo. Its a design that was found at the digg at Sutton Hoo. TIW was the earliest Anglo Saxon God of war and gurdian of the disabled, according to resources on the internet, but Im no expert. This design was found on a purse.

I started the matting while the leather was too wet at the top and top right, but then realised. I tried to hide the marks with not much success, but overall it turned out fine.

The patch is lined in red suede and laced with red kangeroo lace.

post-11335-096196800 1342563514_thumb.jp

post-11335-039913900 1342563580_thumb.jp

post-11335-068668900 1342563712_thumb.jp

post-11335-091199300 1342563833_thumb.jp

post-11335-083181900 1342563930_thumb.jp

I think it looks very nice! Love the red and black.

Like it!

Beautiful work. Love the black and red

Edited by Anacott Steel

This is great. I love the history behind it too.

Gorgeous! Would look great on a jacket or mototcycle, too. :)

Thanks for your comments everyone. I thought of making it into a patch like my others, but I tried using more a natural looking sealer. I realised that Tan Kote is not water resistant! I used saddle lac in the past but its a bit too shiny, Im looking for a water resistant, hard wearing coating or sealer if anyone has any ideas?

Hi,

the Sutton Hoo Purse, very well known. BUT this must not be Tiw, it also can be Daniel in the Lion´s Pit. Archeologists are not shure what this Picture does mean. Here in Germany it is also a well known motive, so on Purses, Belt buckles and Coins.

The Sutton Hoo burial was a King´s grave in the time of synkretism, so old norse and christianity are often both in this context.

The Leatherwork you´ve done is great! I like it!

Very nice work, I like this.

Hi,

the Sutton Hoo Purse, very well known. BUT this must not be Tiw, it also can be Daniel in the Lion´s Pit. Archeologists are not shure what this Picture does mean. Here in Germany it is also a well known motive, so on Purses, Belt buckles and Coins.

The Sutton Hoo burial was a King´s grave in the time of synkretism, so old norse and christianity are often both in this context.

The Leatherwork you´ve done is great! I like it!

Thanks for the info. All the references I find on the internet suggests that its Tiw, but I cant say for sure. Thanks for your comments:)

Nice job! Your tooling is so smooth and even it looks like a machine stamped it! Good job! Cant go wrong with black and red, strong color combo. Thanks for sharing!

Andy

@Andy, Thanks for the nice comments! Even though it began as a practice piece, I always try to improve from the last project.

looks great.

as for waterproofing, try skidmores cream. i use it on my windshield bag on the harley for waterproofing. works for me.

looks great.

as for waterproofing, try skidmores cream. i use it on my windshield bag on the harley for waterproofing. works for me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look it up. Is it a permanent coating or does it need to be re-applied?

No Problem! I´ve doing early medieval Reenactment since 15 years. If you have any questions, just ask me.

Greets

Fantastic work. You did a great job separating the red parts from the black.