Sign in to follow this  
SteveJ

Back from the dead- It's been a long time

Hello all. It's been a very long ,and winding road to get back here. I won't bore any one with the long , tedious saga. Lets just say that it's good to be anywhere. Thought I'd post a couple of items that have kind of been physical therapy. AAF_993_1.jpgAAF_994_1.jpg1_021.jpg

AAF_995_1.jpg

post-1356-1236990195_thumb.jpg

post-1356-1236990222_thumb.jpg

post-1356-1236990692_thumb.jpg

Nice looking bags. Hand stitched?

Dan

ohhhh - I really like the heart one

Is it hard to do that kind of leather work? (can a beginner handle it? or is it something that takes skill?)

Nice looking bags. Hand stitched?

Dan

Yes Sir, every last stitch.

ohhhh - I really like the heart one

Is it hard to do that kind of leather work? (can a beginner handle it? or is it something that takes skill?)

Hi Suze. I've been doing it awhile, but everyone has to start somewhere. To tell you the truth, it used to be a lot easier. I have kind of had to retrain myself. Give it a try

I'm thinking ermine spot (Heraldic design)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ermine_(heraldry)

it is part of our groups device....

Edited by Suze

The Society for Creative Anaconisom will be turning 50 in 2015 and they have put out a challange to any and all to create 50 of something by then

and I think that I am going to try for "accsories" While I don't need 50 belt pouches - I really like the looks of that and it would be fun to try something different.

Like begining leatherworking isn't challanging enough ....

do you cut the design out and then back it or do you sew it up and then cut out what you don't want? (which is what you would do in some kinds of applique)

The Society for Creative Anaconisom will be turning 50 in 2015 and they have put out a challange to any and all to create 50 of something by then

and I think that I am going to try for "accsories" While I don't need 50 belt pouches - I really like the looks of that and it would be fun to try something different.

Like begining leatherworking isn't challanging enough ....

do you cut the design out and then back it or do you sew it up and then cut out what you don't want? (which is what you would do in some kinds of applique)

I personally cut mine out first. Then add a backer if you want contrast. Or you can cut it out and leave it natural. Mind you, all my flaps are two layer of leather so that they have a little weight. On a single thickness flap, you could just stitch the pattern directly, or add the design as an applique

thanks SteveJ that helps. I really like the contrast of the heart and I would be doing a "white" (or very light) leather with a black spot

Great looking bags! Super nice stitching!

thanks SteveJ that helps. I really like the contrast of the heart and I would be doing a "white" (or very light) leather with a black spot

The Heart bag has dyed buckskin for the backer. It was snow white before the dye job. Would probably work very well for you

Great looking bags! Super nice stitching!

Thank you very much

Edited by SteveJ

Wow,

Great work Steve.

The hand stitching is beautiful.

Cheers,

Karl

Edited by badger

Great looking bags!!

Good to hear that you have got back to do leathers because you're good at it, supernice stitching.

Tom

Wow,

Great work Steve.

The hand stitching is beautiful.

Cheers,

Karl

Thank you Karl

Great looking bags!!

Good to hear that you have got back to do leathers because you're good at it, supernice stitching.

Tom

Thank you kindly Tom

STEVE, glad you did not go "bellie up" for good..probably just seemed like it...

nice to have you back. lets see more of your fine bags....Iffin you need some R & R

come on down to these flatlands & well Jawbone for a spell.

STEVE, glad you did not go "bellie up" for good..probably just seemed like it...

nice to have you back. lets see more of your fine bags....Iffin you need some R & R

come on down to these flatlands & well Jawbone for a spell.

Greetings Luke , it's good to be back. Things kinda went sideways for awhile. But I think I'm back on the right trail again. Probably won't make it down south , but thanks anyway. Winter was kinda brutal up here on the frozen tundra , but springs on the way. Hope all is well with you and yours.