Ian

The smell of leather

I was thinking about what a great smell leather has, and remeber when I was a little kid. I used to take riding lessons, and the whole ride home from the stables, I'd have my hands cupped around my nose, smelling the smell of the reins and horses.

When I got older, they brought out the cologne called 'English Leather'. Couldn't wait to buy a bottle. Man, was I dissapointed that it didn't make you smell like leather.

On the other hand, when I had my shop, I got a bunch of vests in that were made of goat hide. It didn't take more than a couple of days before the whole shop smelled of goats. Even through the whole tanning process, and Lord knows what they use to tan with in Asia, the buck smell came shining through.

On yet another hand, the chemicals they use in Asia in tanning are so strong, that my eyes used to be red and swollen after a day around the racks of imported jackets.

I've got the latest smellorama card for my PC. 10mgs onboard memory, and quad simplex processor.

Everytime I log in to this forum, the whole house smells like my shop.

Call me weird if you will, but the goat hides that I use to make lace with, I just love the smell of them. They have such a distinct leather smell I just can't stop myself from sniffing every now and again.

Ken

Be careful Beaverslayer, first it's Primo goathide, then you move up to the hard stuff...

I always smell it at the supplier before buying...LOL

I get like 5 emails a day from Pakistan about buying leather from over there, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN....NO WAY.....NEVER, I could just imagine the smell that would permiate from a shipment from there.

Ken

Call me weird if you will, but the goat hides that I use to make lace with, I just love the smell of them. They have such a distinct leather smell I just can't stop myself from sniffing every now and again.

Ken

Ok, Beave, I'll call your bluff - you're weird. I used to keep goats, though they were all whethers (neutered) so no smell. But, I once dumped a whole gallon of goat milk on the floor of the truck. Believe me when I say - living day in and day out with smell of goat milk matured and cured into the carpet will turn you against the smell of goat by-products forever.

Or, how about this

I like to put a good hand full or 2 of scrap in a bag. Then stick it under or behind my truck seat. Some times when i pick up a hide i'll leave it in the truck for a few days.

Hmmm... pigeon dung... and at no point does anyone ask, "Isn't there a better way to do this?"

Kate

Or, how about this

Okay Beave'r, your wierd. But you have to admit to everyone here that sometimes being weird isn't enough

Edited by TwinOaks