Shed Tinkerer

Pfaff Walking Foot Machine With A Wheel?

***Warning: Total newbie - could ask emberrassingly stupid questions***

I'm restoring a 1978 Ford F250 and want to have a go at doing some of the upholstery myself. So I need a walking foot machine that can handle reasonably thick thread. The thing is I've been keeping an eye on ebay and gumtree (australian version of Craigs list I think) and saw this add:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/upwey/other-home-garden/industrial-walking-foot-leather-sewing-machine-/1029538705

And was wondering if the experts here would mind sharing a comment or two on this. I can't quite work out the model number to do some proper research on machine specs. I have noticed that it doesn't have the usual foot....but a wheel looking thing? Is this normal or something that should be replaced?

Thanks for helping me with this steep learning curve people!

Jerome

It is not a walking foot machine. A walking foot machine would have three shafts, it is easier to view from the side. One shaft for the needle, another shaft for the outside foot and the last shaft for the inside foot. The machine you attached a picture is a straight stitch machine, the either have a foot or roller, the roller makes it easier to make sharp curved lines. The Singer 31-15 is a common commercial straight stitch machine.

Thanks for that tnawrot2...I didn't think it looked right...won't bother checking the machine out then. :-)

Look for a Consew 206rb5, or a pfaff 145, Pfaff 545' Pfaff 1245, or something similar to these machines you can find them relatively cheap on Craigslist. Good Luck!

Ralph